1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying to Applied Math Programs with no Applied Coursework?

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Is this possible?

I'm sorta going through a crisis phase in my life, where I realized I probably don't wanna become professor but I still want to study a lot of math. So far, I'm going into my third year, with a bunch of math coursework. The only thing remotely close to Applied Math I've done is taken a C++ class and a graduate sequence in ODEs. I'll be taking special topics in ODE next semester as well ( a sequel to the sequel).

This sort of crisis, coupled with the fact that my interests in math already lie in Applied-Math-like fields (like ODEs), is pushing me towards an Applied Math grad school. This is also furthered encouraged by the fact that many applied math students have told me their classes were very theoretical in their own right as well. So, I'm thinking about applying towards some of these applied math program (and I don't want to abandon pure yet, but making some room for applied).

However, my schedule for the third year is almost all filled up already (with a bunch of graduate level math classes) so I wouldn't really have any room for applied math classes up until senior year, but I fear that the admission committee won't look at my senior year classes and hence, they'll just see a pure math guy.

So, am I sorta screwed? I mean, I'd like to go to a top 20 school for sure, and not sure if my background would make it so that i could only get into a Top 20 school for pure math and not applied.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted