1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying to MIT

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hey fellas, I'm studin in First year Engineering college in INDIA..
    And am applyin as a freshman to MIT for Fall 2009.. Also I'll be takin my SAT this OCT and subject tests in math, physics,chem in NOV.

Any tips/strategies/experiences anyone would like to share that can be helpful ???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    Since you're in India, I take it you are quite intelligent academic wise. I'd suggest filling up your extracurriculars. Show them you are interesting. Sell yourself. I'm afraid sheer academics won't cut it...

You have to ace your SAT's and you have to show you are more than just an academic student.

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Make sure you have a backup plan since MIT has a very very low admitance rate.

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be prepared to demonstrate that you have (1) addressed your studies and extracurriculars with passion, and (2) persevered after extreme setbacks. The MIT undergrad experience is challenging, often overwhelming, and the admissions office wants to make sure that you won't fall to pieces at the first failure.

Get in the habit of using correct English and proofreading your writing.

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    hey thanks tornzaer for your rep.. I'll surely work on my SAT's. I hope something around 2200 will do ????

and yeah i'll surely see to the extra curricular thing..

and yeah tanx mapes.. your advise being specific i'll surely take care about that...
    frankly speakin i had been thinkin about exactly the same thing ,since last few days, that you've mentioned.. specifically point no.1 and the second sentence.. !

hey tanx for the advice elfboy.. It's good idea to have a backup plan..
    do tell me if ya have good mediocre universities in mind....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I also suggest having a few more realistic backups. Getting into MIT isn't a sure thing for ANYBODY.

8. Sep 19, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I think your chances are quite low.

(1) MIT's admit rate is low - less than 12%. That's the starting point. Your chances are low because everybody's chances are low.

(2) MIT's admit rate for international students is even lower - less than 4%.

(3) Even if self-estimated SAT scores didn't tend to be higher than the real deal, 2200 is not that impressive. It's probably close to the average score (maybe a hair less), and of course because of point (2) you have to be significantly above average.

(4) One of the things one can do to improve one's chances is to be interviewed. Normally, this increases ones chances by 50% or even more. However, in your case I would recommend that you stay far away from an interviewer, as I believe it will hurt your chances. I am basing this on your reaction to two comments in this thread: the reaction to elfboy's sensible suggestion to improve your chances by casting a wider net was met with a sarcastic "do tell me if ya have good mediocre universities in mind....", and Mapes equally sensible suggestion to get in the habit of using correct English was met with, well, more incorrect English.

Based on this, I think you will interview poorly. MIT has lots of applicants who think they know it all already and don't have to take constructive advice - even advice they asked for. They aren't interested in those people. Experience has shown that they don't do well at the Institute, and by the time they realize that maybe other people might know more than they thought they did, it's usually too late.

9. Sep 20, 2008 #8
    Hey G01, I didn't understand what you meant by saying 'realistic backups' .

Hey vanadium, thanks for your advise. And for the fact that you did read the posts carefully. I'll surely keep that in mind.

10. Sep 20, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He means make sure that you apply to universities that you will be sure to be admitted into.

11. Sep 20, 2008 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, by realistic schools, I meant schools that you can realistically expect to get into. In other words, don't apply to only prestigious institutions which have acceptance rates of 12%.

12. Sep 20, 2008 #11
    Awww get in MIT is not as easy as u thought! Really competitive. I think you need to have > 4.0 GPA (on the 5.0 scale) and get 2300 on the SAT. my friend got 2100 on the SAT but he got rejected from Berkeley. MIT is even more competitive than Berekley, since UCB is a public school and lower ranking. Therefore, you have to study seriously and make sure that you meet all the requirements, such as 4 years English, 3 years Foreign Languages...

13. Sep 21, 2008 #12
    I think that one thing that foreign applicants (and many US applicants) fail to understand about the elite US universities is that no one gets into them on the basis of grades and test scores. Grades and test scores can keep you *out*, but that's just the beginning of the story...

14. Sep 21, 2008 #13
    Even the above average American students here in States have a hard time getting into The MIT's, Stanford and Harvard just to name a few. As for some guy, pretty much many of them alike, half across the world thinks he could just walk right in (even though academically is suitable) he is just fooling himself.

There are so many of those foreign students that get denied year after year, commit suicide or go into deep depression because they lose face after telling their parents that they couldn't get into the Yankee Top 1 - 3 school. If only they had half a brain of a size of an Ant, they would try applying for other 100 institutions in the States, let alone anywhere in the world that would happily give them an opportunity to attend in their University as well and probably would even give Scholarships to them too.

Instead they spend all of their time and effort, scratch, bite, punch a guy in the nose, maybe even sell their own sister (just kidding) just to get into MIT! I wish you luck though. :rolleyes:

15. Sep 23, 2008 #14
    Yeah your chances are low. They tend to lean toward non-alien applicants more then alien. Unless your the next Einstein then you can get in

16. Sep 24, 2008 #15
    hey thanks poonlam, tmfkan64,hippo,th3plan for your views on my question. I'll surely bear that in mind.

17. Sep 24, 2008 #16

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hello there!, Besides the selectivity of universities such as MIT, Stanford, Princeton, and others. There's another important factor. Money.

1 year at MIT is going to cost you about USD $60,000 to $70,000. Will you be able to afford this if you get accepted?

I know a guy from my undergrad school who did his degree in Industrial Engineering. He was accepted to MIT for graduate studies, but without funding. He was happy about his acceptance, but the funding part was definitely a problem.

Good luck with your application!

18. Sep 24, 2008 #17
    Was he accepted for a masters of PhD without funding?

19. Sep 24, 2008 #18

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yes, a Master without funding.

20. Sep 24, 2008 #19
    I was wondering about applying to MIT or another school for post grad in America. I think I've got the academics and extracurricular (Ive been into debating, extempore speaking, had a couple of articles printed in daily newspapers in 11th and 12th grade, music, etc...) but what else do you need?

21. Sep 24, 2008 #20
    He didn't actually GO there did he? I don't even think MIT has specifically an IE program. People get so hung up over MIT even if it's an area where they aren't #1. I don't understand why internationals want to go to the #1 math/science school in the U.S. when the top 10-20 in the U.S. are better than anything in their home countries most likely.

Chaoseverlasting, your sarcasm is a bit late in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?