Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Applying torque to a tube

1. Sep 6, 2016 #1
    Hi Guys,
    I have a simple annulus of radius 25mm and 15mm of length 50mm where i applieD a torque of T=100000Nmm. Its inertia about its main axis is I=124.9 kgmm2.
    Therefore i expect the acceleration to be T/I.
    Its not clear how to confirm this answer in Msc Adams because when i set simulation time of 0.1 or 1 sec I always get increasing velocity/acceleration.
    What am I missing?

Regards
    B

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you apply a fixed value torque to an object with a fixed value polar moment of inertia then it will just keep on accelerating forever ?

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    Then under what conditions does this Torque =inertia times alpha hold that one typically sees in textbooks?

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing wrong with the expression .

What is angular velocity of object after time t ? Assume zero initial velocity .

6. Sep 10, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

In practice things like friction, air resistance, strength of materials limit the angular velocity but if you don't model those then the angular velocity is unlimited.

7. Sep 10, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the acceleration you get in Msc Adams agree with the calculated value?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted