1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appreciate any help you can give.

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The average intensity of sunlight reaching the earth is 1390 W / m2. A charge of 1.60 10-8 C is placed in the path of this electromagnetic wave.
    (a) What is the magnitude of the maximum electric force that the charge experiences?
    1.637 N

(b) If the charge is moving at a speed of 6.00 104 m/s, what is the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that the charge could experience?

I got part A, but I cannot figure out what to do next:

Savg - inensity
    c - speed of light 3e8
    ε0 - permittivity of free space 8.854e-12

formula: Erms = √(Savg / c * ε0) = 723.3975, Erms = 1/√2 * E0
    Erms / .707 = 1023.038
    E0 = 1023.038
    E0 * q = F
    F = 1.637e-5

am I suppossed to muliply by the speed? Cause it shows a wrong answer when i do that. I cannot seem to find the right formula. I am just not sure....?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi madd_bm,

For part b they want to find the magnetic force, not the electric force. What is the formula for the magnetic force on a particle? (It will have the velocity in the formula.)
  4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    o.k. this is what I came up with.

F = qvB

u = 1/u0 x B^2 (u0 being the permittivity of free space 4pie-7)

since u is the same as the "u" in the first equation, I used 1390 = 1/u0 x B^2 to calculate B to be 4.179e-2

then multiplied B by 1.6e-8 x 6e4 (velocity x charge) to get FB = 4.012e-5

...but this is still wrong. ?????
    what am I missing?

thanks again. Whatever it comes out to be I won't know if it is right until after tomorrow. I have exceeded my maximum number of tries on the question

edit: I just thought of this and came up with a different answer:

if E = cB, then B = 3.41e-6 (c being the speed of light 3e8, E being the Electric field from part A, 1023.038)
    F = qvb, then F = 3.274e-9

this might also be correct, but like I said, I will not know until tomorrow. thanks again for your help.

another edit: wait. I think I know what I did wrong. above, I used 1390 as u. I just realized this is the average intensity, not the total.
    I redid the first equation (u = 1/u0 x B^2) above using the total (9.267e-6), I then followed the same steps u = 1/u0 x B^2 to calculate B using the corrected u and then set that to F= qvB and got the same answer as in the second equation: 3.27e-9
    so this is likely the correct answer. I just have to wait and see....
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. Aug 31, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?