How to Calculate the Maximum Magnetic Force on a Moving Charge in Sunlight?

• Thread starter madd_bm
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various forces on a charged particle placed in the path of an electromagnetic wave, with a given average intensity of sunlight reaching the Earth. The maximum electric force experienced by the charge is found to be 1.637 N, and the formula for the magnetic force is discussed. Two possible solutions for the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force are presented, one using the electric field from part A and the other using the total intensity of the wave. The final answer is determined to be 3.27e-9, but the correctness of this answer is yet to be confirmed.
madd_bm

Homework Statement

The average intensity of sunlight reaching the Earth is 1390 W / m2. A charge of 1.60 10-8 C is placed in the path of this electromagnetic wave.
(a) What is the magnitude of the maximum electric force that the charge experiences?
1.637 N

(b) If the charge is moving at a speed of 6.00 104 m/s, what is the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that the charge could experience?

I got part A, but I cannot figure out what to do next:

Savg - inensity
c - speed of light 3e8
ε0 - permittivity of free space 8.854e-12
Erms

formula: Erms = √(Savg / c * ε0) = 723.3975, Erms = 1/√2 * E0
Erms / .707 = 1023.038
E0 = 1023.038
E0 * q = F
F = 1.637e-5

am I suppossed to muliply by the speed? Cause it shows a wrong answer when i do that. I cannot seem to find the right formula. I am just not sure...?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi madd_bm,

madd_bm said:

Homework Statement

The average intensity of sunlight reaching the Earth is 1390 W / m2. A charge of 1.60 10-8 C is placed in the path of this electromagnetic wave.
(a) What is the magnitude of the maximum electric force that the charge experiences?
1.637 N

(b) If the charge is moving at a speed of 6.00 104 m/s, what is the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that the charge could experience?

I got part A, but I cannot figure out what to do next:

Savg - inensity
c - speed of light 3e8
ε0 - permittivity of free space 8.854e-12
Erms

formula: Erms = √(Savg / c * ε0) = 723.3975, Erms = 1/√2 * E0
Erms / .707 = 1023.038
E0 = 1023.038
E0 * q = F
F = 1.637e-5

For part b they want to find the magnetic force, not the electric force. What is the formula for the magnetic force on a particle? (It will have the velocity in the formula.)

o.k. this is what I came up with.

F = qvB

u = 1/u0 x B^2 (u0 being the permittivity of free space 4pie-7)

since u is the same as the "u" in the first equation, I used 1390 = 1/u0 x B^2 to calculate B to be 4.179e-2

then multiplied B by 1.6e-8 x 6e4 (velocity x charge) to get FB = 4.012e-5

...but this is still wrong. ?
what am I missing?

thanks again. Whatever it comes out to be I won't know if it is right until after tomorrow. I have exceeded my maximum number of tries on the question

thanks.

edit: I just thought of this and came up with a different answer:

if E = cB, then B = 3.41e-6 (c being the speed of light 3e8, E being the Electric field from part A, 1023.038)
F = qvb, then F = 3.274e-9

this might also be correct, but like I said, I will not know until tomorrow. thanks again for your help.

another edit: wait. I think I know what I did wrong. above, I used 1390 as u. I just realized this is the average intensity, not the total.
I redid the first equation (u = 1/u0 x B^2) above using the total (9.267e-6), I then followed the same steps u = 1/u0 x B^2 to calculate B using the corrected u and then set that to F= qvB and got the same answer as in the second equation: 3.27e-9
so this is likely the correct answer. I just have to wait and see...

Last edited:
Marked! I will come back to check this soon!thanks a lot.:-)
[PLAIN credit
immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
courtier[/u][/url][/color]Une simulation credit immobilier de France
a faire un
pret.
[PLAIN
credit immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
courtier[/u][/url][/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is it important to appreciate help from others?

Appreciating help from others is important because it shows gratitude and respect for the time and effort they have put into helping you. It also encourages them to continue helping you in the future.

2. How can I show my appreciation for someone's help?

There are many ways to show appreciation for someone's help, such as saying thank you, writing a thank-you note, or giving a small gift. It is also important to acknowledge the specific ways in which they have helped you.

3. Is it necessary to show appreciation for small acts of help?

Yes, it is important to show appreciation for all acts of help, no matter how small they may seem. Every effort made to assist you should be acknowledged and appreciated.

4. Can showing appreciation for help improve relationships?

Yes, showing appreciation for help can improve relationships by creating a positive and grateful atmosphere. It also shows that you value the person and their contributions, which can strengthen the bond between you.

5. How can I repay someone for their help?

While it is not always necessary to repay someone for their help, you can offer to return the favor or help them in some other way. You can also pay it forward by helping someone else in need. The most important thing is to show your genuine appreciation for their assistance.