1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apprehension about future career in science

1. Jul 10, 2004 #1
    I am a new college student who is very unsure about the career I want. I am between computer science and physics.

I think I may enjoy being a video game designer/software engineer more than anything else, but I really want to be as smart as possible and have a complete physics education. Someone told me that the only way to have a physics education is grad school. Also, if I become anything besides a physicist, I may not have the time to study physics on my own.

If it wasn't for my wanting to be a genius, and understand as much as possible, I would become a video game designer/programmer. But ofcourse, I would always continue learning, I would just not be as obssesed for it.

Can anyone help me? Some advice?

Oh, one more thing. If I got a Bach. in Physics could I take like maybe a 3year break b4 grad school? Would that hurt me in terms of financial aid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2004 #2
    Genius is just hard work and being only slightly noticably smug. They don't teach it in school. You want obsession? Go to France and find some sexually liberated French chicks to take advantage of you.

4. Jul 11, 2004 #3
    You can't make yourself into a genius, you either have it or you don't. However, if you’re lucky you might stumble across an idea that nobody else has thought of and develop it in such a way that people might think you’re a genius.

I would work on video game designer/programmer route. At least that way you will find better paid job opportunities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?