What is the Best Voltage Regulator for a Dual Polarity Power Supply?

In summary, the easiest way to create a power supply with a DC voltage range of -17V to +17V is by generating a "fake" ground at +17V and using a 35V capable regulator. One option is the LM317, but for higher current outputs, power transistors can be added. Alternatively, individual regulators such as the LM317 and LM337 can be used. More information and circuit diagrams can be found on websites such as digikey.com and farnell.com. Another option is Mitsubishi's dual tracking regulators, such as the M5230L. A transformer with a centre tap and a bridge rectifier can also be used to obtain the desired voltage range.
elecz
I want to make a power supply which gives DC voltage from -17V to +17 volt, i.e of both polarities. Someone please tell me which voltage regulator is easiest and most appropiate to use? Thankyou!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Easiest would be to generate a "fake" ground at +17V and then find a regulator that can do 0 to 35V. What I mean by that is that you should keep the power supply isolated from ground and then connect the case ground to the +17V output of your power supply.
Search digikey.com (US) or farnell.com (Europe) for a 35V capable regulator.
An LM317 for instance would give you -15.8 to +17V connected that way. Close but not quite.

I was a bit unclear ... you will need two regulators: one adjustable 0 to 35V and one fixed or adjustable set to +17V.

Ok thankx.. But I want to know exact device name. e.g LIM117, I want to know more...

Mitsubishi have dual tracking regulators like this:

http://monopoly.highspies.com/pdf/m5230l.pdf

There are circuit diagrams in that data sheet. Note that high current outputs can be obtained by adding power transistors.

You would need a transformer that gives 30 volts centre tapped. If you ground the centre tap and use a bridge rectifier, this will give +/- 21 volts after filtering.

If you preferred to get individual regulators, you could use the LM317 for the positive output and a LM337 for the negative output.

There are lots of regulator circuits here:
http://www.hobbyprojects.com/V/voltage_regulators.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot! You have solved my big problem...

1. What is a voltage regulator and why is it important?

A voltage regulator is an electronic component that is used to maintain a steady voltage output in a circuit. It is important because many electronic devices require a specific voltage to function properly, and fluctuations in voltage can damage or even destroy these devices.

2. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by comparing the output voltage to a reference voltage, and then adjusting the current to maintain a steady output. This is typically done by using a feedback loop that continuously monitors and adjusts the voltage.

3. What are the different types of voltage regulators?

There are three main types of voltage regulators: linear, switching, and shunt. Linear regulators use a variable resistor to adjust the voltage, while switching regulators use a series of switches and inductors to regulate the voltage. Shunt regulators use a transistor to "shunt" excess voltage away from the output.

4. How do I choose the appropriate voltage regulator for my project?

When choosing a voltage regulator, you should consider the input and output voltage requirements, as well as the current and power requirements of your project. You should also consider the type of regulation (linear, switching, or shunt) that would be most suitable for your application.

5. Can I use a voltage regulator for both step-up and step-down voltage conversion?

Yes, some voltage regulators are designed to provide both step-up and step-down conversion. These are known as buck-boost regulators and can be useful for projects that require a wide range of input and output voltages.