1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate cost calculation

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Hello!
    I have the following formula -
    a*k1 + b*k2 + c*k3 = P
    This is a formula i'm trying to build. It will be used to calculate price of a specific good (P) according to criterions k1,k2,k3. Every k have its own value, thats why its being multiplied by coefficients a,b and c.
    I have a history of many previous purchases where k1,k2,k3 and P are known and i need to approximately calculate a,b and c according to this.

Hope i explained this well.
    Can someone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    Just an idea:

[tex]P[/tex] is a function of [tex]k_1, k_2,[/tex] and [tex]k_3.[/tex]
    So the multivariable formula is in the form [tex]P(k_1, k_2, k_3) = ak_1 + bk_2 + ck_3[/tex].

If you have many values of [tex]P[/tex] and [tex]k[/tex] in the formula [tex]P(k) = ak[/tex], you would run a single variable regression on the data to find a reasonable value of [tex]a[/tex]. Thus far, I am not fluent in multivariable regression, so here is a link that might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?