Approximating the Square Function: Mathematical Tricks and Other Methods

In summary: I don't see how you can do it with a Taylor series. One problem is that the derivatives are unbounded near ##x = 1##.For an approximation, I suggest you expand using the binomial theorem and take the limit as x approaches 1. For ##x\gt 1## $$(x-1)^{\frac{1}{n}}=(x)^{\frac{1}{n}}(1-\frac{1}{x})^{\frac{1}{n}}=(x)^{\frac{1}{n}}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{n} \\
PeteSampras
Homework Statement
Is there some way to approximate this function, for x=1?
Relevant Equations
The function is ##(x-1)^{1/n}##, with ##n## integer and n>1 and n=odd.
Obviously, a priori it is not possible tu use the Taylor series because the derivative ##\sim (x-1)^{1/n-1}## is not well defined in x=1.

Is there any mathematical trick? or, other approximation?

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
PeteSampras said:
Homework Statement:: Is there some way to approximate this function, for x=1?
Relevant Equations:: The function is ##(x-1)^{1/n}##, with ##n## integer and n>1 and n=odd.

Obviously, a priori it is not possible tu use the Taylor series because the derivative ##\sim (x-1)^{1/n-1}## is not well defined in x=1.

Is there any mathematical trick? or, other approximation?
Do you mean for ##x \approx 1##?

At ##x = 1## you have ##0^{1/n} = 0##.

[tex]f'(x_0) = \lim _{x\to x_0} \frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0} \Rightarrow f'(x_0)(x-x_0) +f(x_0) = f(x) +o(|x-x_0|),\ x\to x_0 .[/tex]
Take [itex]x_0 =1 + \delta[/itex]. If [itex]|x-x_0|[/itex] is small, then it's a pretty good linear approximation.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't understand your idea, because ##f'(x_0)## does not exist for x_0=1

PeroK said:
Do you mean for ##x \approx 1##?

At ##x = 1## you have ##0^{1/n} = 0##.

Thanks. This is my doubt.

As for example, if is there any approximation of ##x^{1/3}## near x=0, where Taylor is not possible because the function is not differentiable

PeteSampras said:
Thanks. I don't understand your idea, because ##f'(x_0)## does not exist for x_0=1
Indeed, but if you can calculate value of derivative exactly just a bit further from [itex]1[/itex], then you could approximate linearly around a very small neighborhood of [itex]x_0>1[/itex].

PeteSampras said:
Thanks. This is my doubt.

As for example, if is there any approximation of ##x^{1/3}## near x=0, where Taylor is not possible because the function is not differentiable
If ##x## is small, then powers of ##x## are smaller. But, ##x^{1/3} > x##, so you are not going to get a power series approximation to ##x## in powers of ##x##.

For the record, non-smooth approximation is hard. Most of the theory I've come across always assumes differentiability or absolute continuity or something "nice". Non-smooth continuous functions need not be nice at all.

nuuskur said:
Indeed, but if you can calculate value of derivative exactly just a bit further from [itex]1[/itex], then you could approximate linearly around a very small neighborhood of [itex]x_0>1[/itex].

I don't understand :(
PeroK said:
If ##x## is small, then powers of ##x## are smaller. But, ##x^{1/3} > x##, so you are not going to get a power series approximation to ##x## in powers of ##x##.

This mean that, in my problem ##(1-x)^{1/n}## is not possible to approximate the function for ##x_0 \approx 1##?

PeteSampras said:
This mean that, in my problem ##(1-x)^{1/n}## is not possible to approximate the function for ##x_0 \approx 1##?

I don't see how you can do it with a Taylor series. One problem is that the derivatives are unbounded near ##x = 1##.

For an approximation, I suggest you expand using the binomial theorem and take the limit as x approaches 1. For ##x\gt 1## $$(x-1)^{\frac{1}{n}}=(x)^{\frac{1}{n}}(1-\frac{1}{x})^{\frac{1}{n}}=(x)^{\frac{1}{n}}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{n} \\
k
\end{pmatrix} (\frac{1}{x})^k $$Use the identity$$
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{n} \\
k
\end{pmatrix}=\frac{(-1)^k}{k!} \prod_{j=0}^{k-1} (j-\frac{1}{n})$$ for each term in the series.

Last edited:
You might as well work in terms of ##x^{\frac 1n}##, for x near zero,
It depends what you want from an approximation. Generally you want such as an easy way to generate numerical solutions. What form will x be in? If in scientific notation, ##x=a\times 10^m##, you have ##a^{\frac 1n}\times 10^{\frac mn}##. For large n you can ignore ##a^{\frac 1n}##, and it’s easy to reduce m so that it is less than n.
This leaves you with ##10^y##, 0<y<1. For that, you can use ##e^{y\ln(10)}## or ##e^{y\ln(10)+\ln(a)}##.

But is the problem as stated in post #1 as it was given to you? If not, please post the entire original problem.

1. What is the approximate square function?

The approximate square function is a mathematical operation that takes a number as an input and returns the approximate square of that number as the output. It is denoted by the symbol "^2" or by writing the number twice in parentheses, such as (5)^2 or (5)(5).

2. How is the approximate square function different from the square function?

The approximate square function is different from the square function in that it provides an estimated value for the square of a number, whereas the square function gives the exact value. The approximate square function is often used when the exact value is not necessary or when dealing with large numbers that are difficult to calculate.

3. What are the applications of the approximate square function?

The approximate square function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to estimate areas, volumes, and distances in real-world problems. It is also commonly used in data analysis and modeling to simplify complex equations and make calculations more manageable.

4. How accurate is the approximate square function?

The accuracy of the approximate square function depends on the method used to calculate the approximation. In general, the larger the number, the less accurate the approximation will be. However, for most practical purposes, the approximate square function provides a close enough estimate for calculations and analysis.

5. Can the approximate square function be used for negative numbers?

No, the approximate square function is typically used for positive numbers only. When dealing with negative numbers, the square root function is used instead. However, some methods of approximation may allow for the use of negative numbers in the approximate square function, but the results may not be as accurate.