How can you approximate a sum by an integral without having a small Δx?

In summary, when approximating a sum by an integral, the exact sum has the form S = ∑f(x)Δx with a small Δx. However, if the function f(x) has minimal curvature, the sum can be approximated by the integral I = ∫ f(x) dx. This is because the graph of f(x) will have a smoother appearance compared to the discrete points of the sum, resulting in minor differences between the two.
aaaa202
The attached pdf shows integral approximations of two sums, which are done in my book. In the first there is no result but the book simply states that one can approximate the sum by an integral.
My question is: How is this done? Normally when you approximate a sum by an integral you have a sum of the form:
∑f(x)Δx, where Δx is small. But this is not the case here.

Attachments

• sumintegral.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 298
Physics news on Phys.org
When you use an integral to approximate the sum, you would use a partial sum as an approximation and then use an integral with the term of the partial sum as it's lower limit and infinity as it's upper limit, assuming that you're dealing w/ a convergent series your integral will converge to the maximum error/remainder of your approximation.
Ex.

Let S7 = 35.7
Then, $$ 35.7 ≤ S ≤ 35.7 + \int_7^∞ f(x)\ dx $$

Where ## \int_7^∞ f(x)\ dx ## Is the maximum error.

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
The attached pdf shows integral approximations of two sums, which are done in my book. In the first there is no result but the book simply states that one can approximate the sum by an integral.
My question is: How is this done? Normally when you approximate a sum by an integral you have a sum of the form:
∑f(x)Δx, where Δx is small. But this is not the case here.

The exact sum has the form S = ∑f(x)Δx with Δx = 1. If f(x) changes without very much 'curvature' over the x-region of interest, there will not be much difference between the sum S and the integral I = ∫ f(x) dx.

Look at it this way: the graph of y = f(n), n=1,2,...,N has a "staircase" appearance, while the curve y = f(x), 1 ≤ x ≤ N is smooth and weaves its way between the discrete points (n,f(n). In fact, if f(x) is a straight line, the integral and the sum would be exactly equal because for each i the area of the rectangle with base 1 and height f(i) woul be the same as that of the quadrilateral with base 1 and sides of heights f(i-0.5) and f(i+0.5). If the graph f(x) curves slightly, there will be slight differences between the two. So, in the cited paper, the graph of f(n) curves slightly on 1 ≤ n ≤ N, provided that n* is large compared with N, and that is why the sum is approximately equal to the integral.

What is the concept of "Approximate sum by integral"?

The concept of "Approximate sum by integral" is a mathematical method used to estimate the sum of a series of values by representing the series as an integral and using numerical integration techniques to approximate the value. It is often used in cases where the series is infinite or difficult to calculate directly.

Why is "Approximate sum by integral" useful?

"Approximate sum by integral" is useful in situations where the sum of a series cannot be calculated exactly, but an estimation is needed. It is also useful for performing calculations on infinite series, as it allows for a finite approximation to be obtained.

What are the limitations of "Approximate sum by integral"?

The accuracy of "Approximate sum by integral" depends on the precision of the numerical integration technique used. It may also not work well for series with rapidly changing values or values that are not continuous.

What are some examples of using "Approximate sum by integral" in real-world problems?

"Approximate sum by integral" is commonly used in physics and engineering to estimate the total value of a continuously changing variable, such as the total force acting on an object over a period of time. It is also used in economics to estimate the total value of a series of payments over time, such as a loan or investment.

How does "Approximate sum by integral" differ from other methods of summing series?

Unlike other methods of summing series, "Approximate sum by integral" does not require the series to have a finite number of terms. It also allows for the estimation of infinite or non-continuous series. However, it may not provide an exact value and relies on numerical integration methods for approximation.