Approximately how many minutes will it take for the population to grow from 1,000 to 500,000 bacteria?

In summary, the population of a bacteria culture can be represented by the equation P(t)=P_0\cdot2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}, where P_0 is the initial population. Using this equation, it was determined that it would take approximately 17.93 minutes for the population to grow from 1,000 to 500,000 bacteria. This was found by converting the given information into logarithmic form and solving for t.
mathdad
The population of a bacteria culture doubles every 2 minutes. Approximately how many minutes will it take for the population to grow from 1,000 to 500,000 bacteria?

Can someone set up the proper equation needed? I can then work it out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The population \(P\) at time \(t\) (in minutes) will be:

\(\displaystyle P(t)=P_0\cdot2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}\)

where \(P_0\) is the initial population.

MarkFL said:
The population \(P\) at time \(t\) (in minutes) will be:

\(\displaystyle P(t)=P_0\cdot2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}\)

where \(P_0\) is the initial population.

1. The initial population is 1000, right?
2. How did you know what to do here? In other words, what words in the application indicated that this is an exponential equation?

The key is "The population of a bacteria culture doubles every 2 minutes" so every two minutes the population doubles. Repeated "doubling" is repeated multiplying by 2 and that means a power of 2: [tex]2*2=2^2[/tex], [tex]2*2*2= 2^3[/tex], etc. In t minutes, there will be t/2 "two minute" intervals so "doubling every two minutes" is [tex]2^{t/2}[/tex]. And, yes, it is the initial population, 1000 bacteria, that is being "doubled" (multiplied by 2).

How do I solve for t?

RTCNTC said:
How do I solve for t?

Set to population equal to the given amount:

\(\displaystyle 1000\cdot2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}=500000\)

Divide through by 1000:

\(\displaystyle 2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}=500\)

Can you finish?

MarkFL said:
Set to population equal to the given amount:

\(\displaystyle 1000\cdot2^{\Large\frac{t}{2}}=500000\)

Divide through by 1000:

Can you finish?

I defintely can finish.

RTCNTC said:
I defintely can finish.

I will await your work...

Attachments

• MathMagic180916_1.png
    MathMagic180916_1.png
    14 KB · Views: 70
Taking it from:

Convert from exponential to logarithmic form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{t}{2}=\log_2(500)\)

\(\displaystyle t=2\log_2(500)\approx17.931568569324174\quad\checkmark\)

very good. I will post more GMAT word problems on Wednesday. I am not taking the GMAT. However, the applications are fun to play with.

1. What factors affect the growth rate of bacteria?

The growth rate of bacteria can be affected by several factors including temperature, availability of nutrients, pH levels, and the presence of other microorganisms.

2. How does the initial population size impact the time it takes for bacteria to reach a certain population?

The initial population size can affect the growth rate of bacteria. Generally, the larger the initial population, the faster the rate of growth.

3. Can we accurately predict the time it will take for bacteria to reach a certain population?

While we can make estimates based on known growth rates and initial population size, there are many variables that can impact the actual time it takes for bacteria to reach a certain population. Therefore, it is difficult to make accurate predictions.

4. How does the growth rate of bacteria change over time?

The growth rate of bacteria typically follows a logarithmic pattern, meaning that it starts off slow and then increases rapidly as the population grows. However, this growth rate can also be influenced by environmental factors.

5. Can bacteria reach an unlimited population size?

No, bacteria populations are limited by the availability of resources such as nutrients and space. Once these resources become limited, the growth rate of bacteria will slow down and eventually reach a plateau.