1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating Angles

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Approximate, to the nearest 0.01 radian, all angles [tex]\theta[/tex] in the interval [0,2pi) that satisfy the equation.

sin [tex]\theta[/tex]= -0.0135

2. Relevant equations

Inverse sin, reference angle formulas

3. The attempt at a solution

The inverse sin is -.01, so the reference angle for this is .01. If I subtract this from 2pi, I'll get 6.27 radians which checks out. I know the other angle should be in the third quadrant because sin is negative. I'm stuck here. I thought to get an angle in the third quadrant, you take the reference angle and subtract pi from it. This give me a negative number. I don't know what I've done wrong.

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    I think I might have figured it out on my own, but want to check. I'm getting angles (in radians) 6.27 and 3.15. When I try and find the sin of 3.15, I get -.0099998333... which is not -0.0135, but is close.

Is this right?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Notice sin(x) is small so the approximation x=sin(x) holds
    you need a few more digits
    Arcsin(-0.0135)=-0.0135
    3.14159+0.0135=3.1551
    6.28319-0.0135=6.2697

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    I'm guessing it's off because the answers asked for is to the hundredth decimal place. I think the idea that a negative inverse should be treated as positive regardless.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "a negative inverse should be treated as positive regardless". If you mean, "use a calculator and, if the answer is negative, just drop it the negative sign", that's wrong: sin(-x)= -sin(x) not sin(x). What is true is that sin x is negative for [itex]\pi< x< 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]sin(2\pi+ x)= sin(x)[/itex]. If your calculator gives you a negative x, ad [itex]2\pi[itex] to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook