1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating integral of x^4 e^-x

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1

StatusX

Homework Helper

I'm trying to approximate an integral of the form:

[tex]\int_0^{r_0} r^4 e^{-r/a} dr [/tex]

where r0<<a. I figured I could write out the first few terms of the expansion of the exponential and integrate that, since the extra terms would quickly become negligible:

[tex] \int_0^{r_0} r^4 (1-\frac{r}{a}) dr [/tex]

However, when I calculate this answer and compare it to the exact answer from mathematica, the error gets bigger the smaller r0/a gets. I can't figure out why. Specifically, with a few extra terms with the same form, but different powers of r, and r0/a of the order 10^-5, my approximated integral comes out to be about 10^-10 while the exact value is about 0.02. Could this be numerical error? I told it to algebraically come up with the ratio of the approximation and the exact integral, and there were 1/r^5 and 1/r^6 terms, but I can't figure out where they're coming from. Even as I add more terms to the taylor approximation, the answer barely changes.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

express the integral in the form
    [tex] \int^{1} _{0} x^{m} e^{-bx} dx [/tex] the exact answer is

[tex] \frac{m!}{b^{m+1}} \left[ 1 - e^{-b} \sum^{m} _{r = 0} \frac{b^{r}}{r!} \right] [/tex]

4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you considered that, after you've approximated the integrand, you made a mistake in your numerical computation of the integral?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?