1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating PI

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    Approximating PI Show that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{1}{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}[/tex]dx=[tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]-[tex]\Pi[/tex] Why does this imply that [tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\triangleleft[/tex][tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]

I have no clue where to begin with this, I'm at a loss, this is one of the questions for in my university project, first year. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    Calculating the integral would probably be a good start.

What's the numerical value of the integral? Is it a big number or a small number? Is it positive or negative?

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    Welcome to PF, Zadey.

To evaluate [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}\,dx[/tex]

multiply out the numerator, then use long division, then integrate from 0 to 1.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once you have done the integral and derived the result shown, if [itex]\pi[/itex] were greater than 22/7, the integral would be negative.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    Thanks, I got it. Don't know why I didin't see it earlier.
    Now if I had to find the maximum of the numerator, how would I go about using it to show that [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{\pi}{1024}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] and how does it imply that the approximation [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]is accurate to 2 decimal places? I know that the [tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] would be used to imply that its accurate to 2 decimal places but how it does I'm not sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook