1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating the poisson

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

During a two hour window, people are given the option of calling number X, donating $9.90, or number Y, donating $0.50.

X is Poisson distributed with 1500 calls/minute. Y is Poisson with 3750 calls/minute.

What is the probability that more than $2,000,000 is raised?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

X = number of calls to number X in 120 minutes = Po(120*1500) = Po(180000)

Y = number of calls to number Y in 120 minutes = Po(120*3750) = Po(450000)

Let Z = 9.9X + 0.5Y. We're looking for P(Z > 2,000,000).

Z should have an expectation of 1,782,000 + 225,000 = 2,007,000.

Now I want to approximate Z = Po(μ) with Z ≈ N(μ,σ). But I can't work out the standard deviation for Z. Using [itex]\sqrt{μ}[/itex] doesn't give me the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would bet that you have already seen how to do it, but may have forgotten. So, if X and Y are independent random variables and a, b are numbers, how does the variance of Z = a*X + b*Y relate to Var(X) and Var(Y)? There is a standard formula. It is used over and over and over again, so you should get to know it if you don't already or have forgotten it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted