1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximating uncertainty

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    Can someone get me started with finding the approximate uncertainty of the area of a circle with a radius of 2.0 cm?

Thanks,
    Yours

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask yourself by what amount will the area of the circle change if you introduced a small error in the radius of the circle?

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    um...

Can you give me the answer so I know if I'm doing this right? (I need to show work for full credit anyway)

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell us what you did so far and I'm sure someone will provide further guidance! :-)

6. Sep 2, 2004 #5
    I found the area of both pi*(2.0+0.1)^2 and pi*(2.0-0.1)^2, which is 13.9 and 11.3, respectively. I also found the area of pi*(2.0)^2, which is 12.6. Then I got stuck.

7. Sep 2, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good start! Generally, the error in area will be related to the error in measuring the radius by [itex]\delta A = 2\pi r \delta r[/tex] which is essentially what you have for the specific case that [itex]\delta r = 0.1[/itex] and [itex]r = 2[/itex]. ([itex]\delta[/itex] means "error" or "deviation.")

8. Sep 2, 2004 #7
    So the final answer is 2.8 X 10^9 +/- 1.3?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  9. Sep 2, 2004 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would refine it just a little. The radius was given to two significant digits meaning that it is given to the nearest 0.1 centimeters from which I would use [itex]\pm 0.5[/itex] for the error in r.

10. Sep 2, 2004 #9
    Thank you for your help, Tide!

11. Sep 2, 2004 #10
    I'm being asked to compute the uncertantity of air density that i calculated using pv=nrt. I have a uncertanty of .1 on the barometer, and .5 degrees for temperature, but the equation in my fluid mechanics book is too complicated. I can't draw what they're trying to say. The formula has to do with like 3 terms squared to the ^1/2 power. I just can't get over all the complicated lingo, I know its really easy. My recitation teacher explained it, but I'm having a brain freeze, anybody?

12. Sep 2, 2004 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It appears you should be using the formula
    [tex]D =\frac{P}{RT}[/tex]
    where:
    D = density, kg/m3
    P = pressure, Pascals ( multiply mb by 100 to get Pascals)
    R = gas constant , J/(kg*degK) = 287.05 for dry air
    T = temperature, degK = deg C + 273.15

13. Sep 2, 2004 #12

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know whether I can make it any easier but essentially you just need to substitute numbers into the equation

[tex]\frac {\delta n}{n} = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{\delta v}{v} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{\delta p}{p} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{\delta T}{T} \right)^2}[/tex]

The symbol [itex]\delta[/itex] means "deviation" or "error" of a given quantity. Note that generally a quantity such as [itex]\frac {\delta n}{n}[/itex] is called the "relative error."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?