Approximation formula proof

In summary, the conversation is about proving an approximation formula involving the parameters τ1 and τ2. The formula is provided, but the problem is that it does not match the desired result. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using the approximation formula as a correct approximation and considering the expression on the right hand side with τ = τ1 + τ2. Ultimately, it is suggested that the same general procedure could be used for this problem.
anhnha
Hi.
Please help me prove the approximation formula below given in my book. This is not homework question.
Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69383&stc=1&d=1399188366.jpg

Attachments

• approximation formula proof.jpg
    approximation formula proof.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 451
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You just neglect ##\tau_1## or ##\tau_2##, whatever is smaller. Note that a larger value will lead to a larger exponential as well (for positive t).

Thank you. However, that doesn't solve the problem. What need to be proved is different.

[tex]\frac{τ_1e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}-τ_2e^{-\frac{t}{τ_2}}}{τ_1-τ_2}=\frac{e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-\frac{t}{τ_2}}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}=e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}\left(\frac{1-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t(\frac{1}{τ_2}-\frac{1}{τ_1})}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}\right)=e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}\left(\frac{1-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}\right)[/tex]

If τ1>>τ2, then [itex]e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}<1[/itex].

From this, it follows that, in the numerator, [itex](τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}<<1[/itex]

Also, in the denominator, [itex](τ_2/τ_1)<<1[/itex]

So the term in parenthesis approaches unity.

Chet

anhnha said:
Thank you. However, that doesn't solve the problem. What need to be proved is different.
Why? It shows that the big is a correct approximation.

I guess the analysis I did in #4 did not work for the OP? (It was just a more fleshed-out version of what mfb was saying).

Chet

Thank you all.
I think you misread the question a bit. The expression on the right hand side of the equation is [tex]e^{-\frac{t}{τ}}[/tex] with [tex]τ = τ_1 + τ_2[/tex].

anhnha said:
Thank you all.
I think you misread the question a bit. The expression on the right hand side of the equation is [tex]e^{-\frac{t}{τ}}[/tex] with [tex]τ = τ_1 + τ_2[/tex].
You're right. But that doesn't matter much. The same general procedure could be used for this.

Chet

What is an approximation formula proof?

An approximation formula proof is a mathematical method used to estimate the value of a function or equation. It involves using a simplified version of the original equation to get a close approximation of the actual value.

Why are approximation formula proofs used?

Approximation formula proofs are used because they provide a quick and efficient way to estimate values of complicated functions or equations. They are also useful in situations where the exact value is not needed, but only an approximate value is required.

How accurate are approximation formula proofs?

The accuracy of an approximation formula proof depends on the complexity of the original equation and the chosen approximation method. In general, the closer the approximation method is to the original equation, the more accurate the result will be.

Can any function or equation be approximated using a formula proof?

No, not all functions or equations can be approximated using a formula proof. The feasibility of using a formula proof depends on the complexity of the equation and the availability of suitable approximation methods. Some equations may require more advanced techniques for approximation.

Are there any limitations to using approximation formula proofs?

Yes, there are limitations to using approximation formula proofs. These proofs only provide an estimate of the value and not the exact value. They also assume that the function or equation is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the value being estimated becomes larger.