1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation of Gaussian integral arising in population genetics

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    The following problem arises in the context of a paper on population genetics (Kimura 1962, p. 717). I have posted it here because its solution should demand only straightforward applications of tools from analysis and algebra. However, I cannot figure it out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let z = 4 N s [1 - 2 N v x (1 - x)]

G(x) = e^-∫z dx

u(p) = [∫G(x)dx (from x = 0 to p)] / [∫G(x)dx (from x = 0 to 1)]

Assume that v << 1, and 2Nv << 1. Assume further that Ns is large, but (8 N^2 s v) is very small.

We have u = 2s - v.

My question is: how is this obtained?

2. The attempt at a solution
    One first multiplies z out, getting
    z = 4Ns - 8N^2 v s x (1 - x)

Then one can plug this into the expression for G(x)
    G(x) = e^-∫z dx

At this point, I have tried to take 8N^2 v s -> 0, and so we are left with the expression
    G(x) = e^-∫4Ns dx
    However, I do not know if it is justified to do this now, and this may be where I go wrong. Nevertheless, if we do this, we can simply integrate ∫4Ns dx = 4Nsx, and so G(x) = e^-4Nsx. Then we plug this expression into the u(p) expression, but this does not yield the correct solution.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted