Approximation of linear quadrupole as a dipole in radiation zone

In summary, a linear electric quadrupole can be approximated as a dipole in a radiation zone due to the same underlying source of the fields and the magnitude of the Poynting vector being the same for both sources.
dorist84
Hello,

This question is more conceptional - I think I can do the algebra (mostly approximations) in this problem ok.

Homework Statement

I am wondering why it is for a radiation zone, that a linear electric quadrupole can be approximated as a dipole. I am wondering if this is just a coincidence or if this is a specific case due to an intrinsic geometry or a characteristic about radiation zones that allows us to do this.

I doubt it is coincidental - if it were, I would guess that higher order dipoles (meaning bigger than quadrupoles) can be approximated as such then - that doesn't make sense to me.

There must be something "special" about radiation fields that allows us to say this: does this have to do with the energy density then? Maybe the magnitude of the Poynting vector? Perhaps the amplitude of the wave oscillation in the B-field in the radiation zone...(But what would dipoles/quadrupoles have to do with this then?)

Anything clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Take care.

--Doris

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason why a linear electric quadrupole can be approximated as a dipole in a radiation zone is due to the fact that the fields created by the quadrupole and the dipole are both produced by the same underlying source. The underlying source in this case is the oscillatory behavior of the electric and magnetic fields caused by the radiation. The magnitude of the Poynting vector, which is related to the amplitude of the wave oscillation in the B-field, will be the same for both the quadrupole and dipole. Therefore, the fields generated by both sources will be the same, which allows us to approximate a quadrupole as a dipole in a radiation zone. Higher order dipoles will not be able to be approximated as such because the fields produced by higher order dipoles are not necessarily related to the oscillatory behavior of the electric and magnetic fields as the quadrupole and dipole are. This is why a higher order dipole cannot be approximated as a dipole in a radiation zone.

1. What is the concept of "Approximation of linear quadrupole as a dipole in radiation zone"?

The approximation of linear quadrupole as a dipole in the radiation zone refers to the simplification of a complex electromagnetic field produced by a linear quadrupole antenna into that of a dipole antenna in the far-field region. This approximation is based on the assumption that the radiation from the linear quadrupole is dominated by its dipole component.

2. How is the approximation of linear quadrupole as a dipole in the radiation zone useful?

This approximation is useful in simplifying the analysis and design of linear quadrupole antennas, as the complex radiation pattern can be reduced to that of a dipole antenna. This makes it easier to calculate the antenna's performance parameters, such as gain and directivity, in the far-field region.

3. What are the limitations of this approximation?

The approximation of linear quadrupole as a dipole in the radiation zone is only valid in the far-field region, where the distance from the antenna is much larger than its size. Additionally, this approximation may not accurately represent the antenna's behavior in certain directions or at certain frequencies.

4. How is the linear quadrupole antenna different from a dipole antenna?

A linear quadrupole antenna consists of two parallel dipole antennas oriented at right angles to each other, whereas a dipole antenna consists of a single element with two poles. The radiation pattern of a linear quadrupole is more complex than that of a dipole, and it is only in the far-field region that the linear quadrupole can be approximated as a dipole.

5. Can this approximation be applied to other types of antennas?

Yes, the approximation of a complex antenna as a simpler one in the far-field region is a common technique used in antenna engineering. However, the specific approximation of a linear quadrupole as a dipole is only applicable to linear quadrupole antennas and not other types of antennas such as monopoles or loop antennas.