1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation of SHM

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The restoring force of a pendulum is [itex]F_\theta=-mg\sin\theta[/itex]
    and is approximated to [itex]F_\theta=-mg\theta[/itex].
    The period is [itex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex], but can be expressed as the infinite series:
    [tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}\left( 1+\frac{1^2}{2^2}\sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}+\frac{1^2}{2^2}\frac{3^2}{4^2}\sin^4\frac{\theta}{2}+...\right)[/tex]
    What is this approximation and of what? i don't think it's a Maclaurin series.

2. Relevant equations
    Maclaurin series of sin(x):
    [tex]\sin(x)\cong 1-\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-\frac{x^7}{7!}...[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When solving for the period of a large amplitude pendulum you get a nasty elliptical integral. You can express that integral in terms of a series, the first term being the familiar period for small amplitudes.

Try this for more details: LARGE-ANGLE MOTION OF A SIMPLE PENDULUM

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Change of variables

In the link you gave me:
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...M&txt=LARGE-ANGLE MOTION OF A SIMPLE PENDULUM
    there is equation 7:
    [tex]\sin(\varphi)=\frac{\sin(\vartheta/2)}{\sin(\alpha/2)}[/tex]
    It says [itex]\alpha[/itex] changes from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] for a full oscillation.
    First, when [itex]\alpha=0[/itex] then the denominator=0
    Secondly, [itex]\alpha[/itex] changes from [itex]-\vartheta[/itex] to [itex]+\vartheta[/itex]
    so [itex]\sin(\varphi)[/itex] changes from [itex]-\varphi[/itex] [itex]+\varphi[/itex]

5. May 5, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I believe it is [itex]\varphi[/itex] that ranges from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] for a full oscillation, not [itex]\alpha[/itex]. [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the initial angle of the pendulum, when released from rest.

6. May 6, 2014 #5
    Right, [itex]\varphi[/itex] ranges from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex]
    [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is the initial angle

7. May 6, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, as Doc Al posted, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the initial angle. [itex]\vartheta[/itex] varies between [itex]-\alpha[/itex] and [itex]+\alpha[/itex].

8. May 7, 2014 #7
    Maybe, i don't remember the details now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted