1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation of small angles

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    Hi! I have a question about approximation of functions with small angles. I was looking through some notes from my teacher and didnt understand why the following approximation is valid. We have a system which is at equlibrium at an angle, say a. Now we wanted to se what happens with the equilibrim if we deviate from a, with a small angle say, n. All the calculations isnt necessary here so i cut them out.

He chooses to write cos(a+n) = cosa * cos n - sina * sin n, just by expanding.

However for sin(a + n) he just writes sin(a+n) = sin(a)

Can you please validate this and tell me why this is ok to do? I mean why we dont expand sin(a+n) in the same manner?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    If you check it and expand it yourself you get:

sin(a+n)=sin(a)cos(n)+sin(n)cos(a)

if N is small, Sin(n) is insignificant. lets just say close enough to 0. and using the same principle, if N is small, Cos(n) is close enough to 1. Think of the sin and cos curves for small values. This leaves you with;

sin(a+n)=sin(a)1+0cos(a) which therefore approximates to Sin(a) as stated.

All he has done is missed out the calculation because he knows something about the values of N for sin and cos when they are small.

Btw this should be in the maths section not the physics.

Hope this helped.

Si

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure this expansion is correct. If you want to expand for small n you have to keep all term that are linear in n. In the case of the sine this would be
    [tex]\sin(a+n)=\sin(a)\cos(n)+\sin(n)\cos(a)\approx \sin(a) + n \cos(a)+ \mathcal{O}(n^2)[/tex]

for the cosine it would be
    [tex]\cos(a+n)=\cos(a)\cos(n)-\sin(a)\sin(n) \approx \cos(a) - n \sin(a)+ \mathcal{O}(n^2)[/tex]

It is inconsistent to keep the linear term for the epxansion of the cosine but not the sine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook