Approximating Electromagnetic Waves with Derivatives

In summary, the step in calculating E(x+dx,t) is based on the fact that a function can be approximated well at point a by the tangent at point a.
yoran
Hi,

In my textbook they derive that a solution to the law of Faraday and the law of Ampère-Maxwell is an electromagnetic wave.

In one of the steps they have to calculate [tex]E(x+dx,t)[/tex] where E is the magnitude of the electric field of the wave. They say
[tex]E(x+dx,t) \approx E(x,t)+\frac{dE}{dx} \Big|_{t=constant}dx[/tex]
On what theorem is this step based?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that a function can be approximated well at point a by the tangent at point a.

So basically you do a linear approximation? In my textbook they write that it's an approximation but they use it later as if it's an exact equality. Is this wrong or can you do it because dx is infinitesimally small?

That's generally known as a first order Taylor expansion. But it can be obtained from the definition of the derivative:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dx} = \lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac{E(x+dx)-E(x)}{dx}[/tex]

Forget about the limit and solve for E(x+dx). As an approximation, the result works as long as dx is small. The reason is you can expand any function in a Taylor series, which is a power series in dx. Terms above dx^2 get cut in an expansion like that, so the error for small, non-zero dx is roughly proportionate to dx^2

yoran said:
In my textbook they write that it's an approximation but they use it later as if it's an exact equality. Is this wrong or can you do it because dx is infinitesimally small?

Hi yoran! :smile:

Yes … if dx is only very small, then it's only an approximation.

But if dx is infinitesimally small, then it's exact! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
But if dx is infinitesimally small, then it's exact! :smile:
Except when the error is a nonzero infinitessimal. :tongue:

(Tiny-tim and I, are talking about other arithmetic systems -- in the real numbers, 0 is the only infinitessimal number)

Thanks a lot guys. I've seen Taylor and Maclaurin series in a Calculus course but I never applied it in a "real" context. Now I can see why it's so useful. It's much clearer now.

1. What is approximation with derivative?

Approximation with derivative is a mathematical method used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the derivative of that function at a nearby point.

2. Why is approximation with derivative useful?

Approximation with derivative is useful because it allows us to calculate the value of a function at a point without having to know the exact function or having to evaluate it at that specific point.

3. What is the formula for approximation with derivative?

The formula for approximation with derivative is f(x) ≈ f(x0) + f'(x0) * (x - x0), where x0 is the known point and f'(x0) is the derivative of the function at that point.

4. How accurate is approximation with derivative?

The accuracy of approximation with derivative depends on how close the known point (x0) is to the desired point (x). The closer the points are, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of approximation with derivative?

Approximation with derivative is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to estimate values such as velocity, acceleration, and rates of change. It is also used in computer graphics and numerical analysis to improve the efficiency of algorithms and programs.