1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aproximations by Expansion

1. Jul 14, 2006 #1

eep

Hi,
    I've never really studied various ways of expanding expressions in order to obtain an approximation that can make calculations easier. For example,

[tex]
    p^t = \frac{m}{\sqrt{1 - v^2}}
    [/tex]

reduces to

[tex]
    p^t = m + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + ...
    [/tex]

for v << 1.

How does one arrive at something like this? What other expansions are useful? I used to think that I'd just calculate everything exactly but I now realize these sorts of expansions are extremeley important.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with Taylor series? It says that if a function can be expanded in a power series, then it will be of the form

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n[/tex]

Wheter this series converges towards the original function is another matter. (Actually, it is a matter of calculating the radius of convergence of a power series)

For exemple, the function [itex]f(x) = (1+x)^r[/itex] where r is any real number has as its Taylor expansion

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{r(r-1)...(r-n+1)}{n!}x^n[/tex]

and the series converges to [itex]f(x) = (1+x)^r[/itex] for all |x|<1 but not for any other value of x.

This is exactly what has been done in your post. [itex]p(v)=m(1+v^2)^{-1/2}[/itex] is of the form [itex](1+x)^r[/itex] with x=-v² and r=-½, so it converges to the series expansion you wrote for all values of v such that |v²|<1.

N.B. in the context of special relativity, v is always lesser than 1 since it has been assumed that c=1, so the formula really is valid for all velocity.

The only other expansion I know of is the expansion in a Fourier series.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  4. Jul 14, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Btw, wouldn't it be
    [tex]
    p = m - \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + ...
    [/tex]
    instead? (with a "-" sign instead of a "+" sign on odd terms)

5. Jul 15, 2006 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sign is +. It results from multiplying two - signs, -1/2 and -v2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook