Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

APS April Meeting?

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Anyone in attendance?

I know this isn't as big as the March meeting [the Condensed Matter one], but there are still quite a few people in attendance (or so I think as this is my first conference/meeting).

Not going to lie, I was pretty happy to have the opportunity to hear three Nobel winners in one morning today :P

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What is the APS?

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    American Physical Society. I believe they're the people who run Phy. Rev. and Rev. of Mdrn. Phy.

Wikipedia tells me it's the second largest physics organization? I just know that being a member of the society of physics students gives me access to Phy. Rev. D :) ...and free entrance to the conference.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a great opportunity!

6. Apr 3, 2012 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eye of the beholder.. APS is also the American Phytopathological Society.
    I have been a member of this esteemed order and attended several national and regional meetings.

7. Apr 3, 2012 #6
    Whoa! Totally forgot that there could be other large organizations of the same initialism. I also did not realize that phytopathology was a field of research ^^; though in retrospect this was more of a not knowing the name type of thing than not knowing what was going on.

8. Apr 3, 2012 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a small handful of folks from here that show up at the March or April Meetings. Most of them don't visit General Discussion very much.

9. Apr 3, 2012 #8

jtbell

Also the American Philatelic Society, of which I've been a member for about as long as I've been a member of the American Physical Society.

George Arfken, who wrote a well-known textbook on mathematical methods for physicists, is also a member of this APS, and has written at least one article for its magazine, the American Philatelist.

Remember Ernest Rutherford's quote? "All science is physics. The rest is just stamp collecting." :smile:

10. Apr 3, 2012 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Bah, I was at the meeting. I should have seen this thread earlier.

11. Apr 4, 2012 #10
    Did you present anything? There's a one in a few hundred chance I attended it, haha. I mostly went to Higgs talks and DM talks. That and I just *had* to go to Gordon Kane's talk since I am interested in Michigan's Theory group.

Also, I was sort of a fanboy and got pictures with the Nobel Laureates :P

12. Apr 4, 2012 #11
    That is fantastic, I think I'll check around for lists of massive professional and recreational organizations now, haha.

13. Apr 5, 2012 #12

jtbell

I just thought of another prominent physicist/philatelist: the late Hans Bethe. I remember a little blurb in the American Philatelist when he joined the "other" APS sometime in the 1990s, along with one of his sons (or grandson, or nephew, or something like that).

14. Apr 5, 2012 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes I gave a talk at the Exact solutions and analysis of spacetimes talks. I slept in instead of seeing the laureates. The talks sounded like snoozers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook