Aquarium Pressure Problem Solution Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force of water on the bottom and front window of an aquarium tank, based on its dimensions and filled to the top. The force on the bottom can be calculated using the mass of water and gravity, while the force on the front window requires integration of pressure over area. It is important to consider the air pressure from both inside and outside the tank when calculating the net force on the front window.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

An aquarium tank is 100 cm long, 35 cm wide, and 40 cm deep. It is filled to the top

a)What is the force of the water on the bottom (100 cm x 35 cm) of the tank?

b) What is the force of the water on the front window (100 cm x 40 cm) of the tank?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, can I just use I find the mass of the water and use mg? Actually I think I might have to use integration, but could someone explain it to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for part a you can just use mg. Why? Think of a force diagram. For part b you have to integrate pressure over area.

For part b, I'm pretty sure I have to use integration.
P=Po + ro*g*y where y is the depth
P= (101300Pa) + (1000kg/m^3)(9.80)d

Say I cut the front surface into little rectangles--each with width .35 and height dy
So would I multiply the above by .35dy and take the integral evaluated from 0 to 40 ? Please help me set up this integral. Thanks

You don't cut it into little rectangles, it's one big rectangle. Just integrate. P= (101300Pa) + (1000kg/m^3)(9.80)y. Where y is depth and x is the distance coordinate across the front. You'll want to integrate this dx*dy. What's the range of x and y? BTW it only asks for the pressure of the water, so you might want to drop the 101300Pa. That's from the air. The question is a little ambiguous about that. Try it both ways to make sure.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by integrate this dx*dy.

Would I take the integral from 0 to .40 of (1000kg/m^3)(9.80)y * (1.0m) dy?

bcjochim07 said:
I don't understand what you mean by integrate this dx*dy.

Would I take the integral from 0 to .40 of (1000kg/m^3)(9.80)y * (1.0m) dy?

That works also. If you haven't done double integration don't worry about it.

Ok so is this right: Integral of 1000*9.80*y dy

= 4900 y^2 evaluated from 0 to .4

4900* (.4)^2 = 784 N

Also why is it that I drop the pressure from the air--is it because the force from the air is down, but the force of the water on the front of the glass is horizontal?

Yes. That's right. But try to understand why you would or would not keep the air pressure. Pressure doesn't have a direction so it's not because of direction. The TOTAL force on the inside of the front of the aquarium is the sum of the force due to air above PLUS the force due to the water inside. If that's what you want, you include it. If you don't want it then don't include it. You have to read the question and decide. A reasonable reason to not include it is that there is also air pressure pushing into the tank from the outside air. Which approximately cancels the contribution of the air to the inside pressure. So the net force on the front of the tank is just that due to the water.

1. What is the "Aquarium Pressure Problem"?

The "Aquarium Pressure Problem" refers to the issue of maintaining proper water pressure levels in a fish tank or aquarium to ensure the health and well-being of the aquatic animals living inside.

2. How does water pressure affect aquariums?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in an aquarium as it helps maintain the necessary gas exchange for the survival of aquatic animals. It also helps to filter out waste and keep the tank clean.

3. What can cause a decrease in water pressure in an aquarium?

There are several factors that can cause a decrease in water pressure in an aquarium, such as clogged filters, low water levels, or blockages in the pipes or tubing. Other factors may include a malfunctioning pump or air stones, or a buildup of debris in the tank.

4. How can I fix the "Aquarium Pressure Problem"?

The solution to fixing the "Aquarium Pressure Problem" will depend on the cause of the issue. Some possible solutions may include cleaning or replacing clogged filters, checking and adjusting water levels, and removing any blockages in pipes or tubing. It may also be necessary to replace malfunctioning equipment or perform regular maintenance on the tank.

5. How can I prevent the "Aquarium Pressure Problem" from occurring?

To prevent the "Aquarium Pressure Problem," it is essential to regularly clean and maintain the tank, including changing the water and checking the equipment for any issues. Keeping a consistent feeding schedule and not overstocking the tank with too many fish can also help prevent the issue. Additionally, using a reliable water pressure gauge can help monitor and maintain proper pressure levels in the tank.