Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arab-Israelli Conflict

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Hi, I believe that we can discuss this in a civilized and mature way, after all, this is PF. There is alot to say but please don't repeat what we all know. If this gets out of bounds, we have the good admins and mods to stop it so please mind your words before replying.

I don't want to go whining about the past. I'd rather look-up to the future, what do you think is to become in the next 10 years of this conflict?

personally, I think that the proper will and motivation is present for an all-out peaceful AND just solution. All the countries are reluctant to deal with the issue for any more time and are saying "lets end this once and for all". We simply need more negotiations and time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2
    What would YOU like to see in the next 10yrs?

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    I like to see the Palestinians and Israelis living together peacefully. No hamas and no militant groups, nothing but the Palestinian official force and the Israeli official force.
    Moreover, Jerusalem must be divided between the two states which is an important roadblock that the negotiations are facing.

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4
    My solution was to build a giant temple in geosynchronous orbit above Jerusalem for each of the 3 Abrahamic religions, where they could sit in a triangle.

My friends thought that wasn't very viable, though. I can't imagine why. They each have frickin God on their side. You'd think he'd do something that simple just to make them stop fighting.

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

How would you like to see it divided?

7. Jun 11, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I don't see any way to divide it that either would ever be happy with.

8. Jun 11, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, this idea is a bit out there. It's an idea from a friend of mine (no seriously, if it were mine I would claim it - I swear!).

Make Jeruselem a place that is a non-state; rather, it would be a "City of the World." Move the UN headquarters from the New York to Jeruselem.

Pros? Cons?

9. Jun 11, 2008 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

Hmmm... Interesting idea... but not one I'm sure either side would be happy with. Jeruselem seems to be the biggest point of contention - it's 'sacred' to nearly EVERYONE of faith...

AmedEzz, do you have any suggestions for how you think it should be divided?

10. Jun 11, 2008 #9
    Along the pre-1676 boarder would be the obvious place to divide it. We do have international laws which are supposed to prohibit the annexation of territory by force. Unfortunately, those laws aren't doing any good as long our government here in the US keeps using our Veto power in the UN to keep the rest of the world from enforcing them.

11. Jun 11, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...North America would look quite different, if we reverted to the maps of 1676...!

Edit: So would just about *every* map!

12. Jun 12, 2008 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too... :biggrin:

13. Jun 12, 2008 #12

Art

Already done under UN resolution 194 (article 8)which called for demilitarization and UN control over Jerusalem. Israel formally agreed to abide by this resolution as a condition of it's acceptance into the UN. The resolution also called for the return of refugees and free access to Jerusalem.

Needless to say Israel never had any intention of actually honouring their agreement and in fact later invaded and occupied East Jerusalem.

14. Jun 12, 2008 #13
    Well, there's already a vision of the city after being divided on the negotiations table between the Israellis and the Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, who I think by the way should be backed by the US, EU and the rest of the world because if there's anyone who can end this and bring peace, its him.

I think that there's an area of 'Eastern Jerusalem' that interests the Palestinian side, they want it to be their capital. Moreover, Israel's capital is already Tel Aviv.

On the other hand the suggestion by lisab's friend is a good one given that both sides agree on it. That way, we can preserve the holiness of the city and keep it neutral. Although I find it very hard for both Israeli's and Palestinians to accept it, but from my side, I support it if it will bring peace.

There's another major issue, should the Palestinian people all over the world and the refugees come back or not? Israel opposes and Palestinians insist.

15. Jun 12, 2008 #14
    Given the discrimination that Jews faced in visiting holy sites in Jerusalem before Israel captured it during the six day war, I really doubt that any peace agreement is going to work with an Arab state or government administrating the city.

Another major problem is the rise of Hamas to power in Palestine. Even though the Bush administration chose not to negotiate with Arafat, he was seen as a legitimate leader by most of the world community. No one is going to negotiate with Hamas, which has refused to renounce terrorism and its call for the destruction of Israel.

Another major roadblock is the obstinance of both sides to compromise. Israel will refuse to remove many of its colonies and Palestinians will insist on the return of many millions of Palestinian diaspora and their descendants, neither one of which is realistic if a compromise is to work.

And an additional problem has been the United States. While previous Presidents have viewed a peaceful resolution to hostilities in the region as an important US foreign policy goal, our current administration has mostly ignored the issue entirely. The United States is, realistically, the only nation that can broker a lasting peace agreement. Without strong US participation and support for a compromise, it will never happen, and it is unknown what kind of stance the next US president will take.

Attitudes are also important. When polls show that the majority of Palestinians support terrorist attacks to murder Israeli civilians, one must wonder if peace is actually going to be possible so long as the current generation is alive. What may end up happening is that Israel finishes building a wall, then cuts the Palestinian territories loose to self-governance. After all of todays' generation, with hatred in their hearts have died, a true reconciliation may be possible.

16. Jun 12, 2008 #15
    I too would like to see Palestinians and Israelis living together peacefully. Moreover, Cairo must be divided between the Egyptians and the Sudanese.

17. Jun 12, 2008 #16
    Jerusalem was taken from Jordan and illegally annexed. However, Jordan says they don't want it back. That seems to close the issue.

18. Jun 12, 2008 #17
    Seems peaceful enough with what they have in place now. Why cannot it work for the best? Altruistic intentions and good beliefs and utopias do not have their place in this world.

19. Jun 12, 2008 #18
    I say cut out that land they're fighting over, place it in deep space and let them squabble over there.

20. Jun 12, 2008 #19
    When the Israeli army kills your mother, father, sister,brother, and friends you may have and slaughters your people, I don't think you will have anything but hatred in your heart. When the Israeli force stops destroying innocent people's houses and stops killing children, maybe then they will stop supporting terrorism.

It really depresses me to see such ignorant and single-minded replies. Are you seriously saying "why the Palestinians hate Israelis so much?" or are you saying " Why can't the Palestinians just love their Israeli counter-parts?" both are silly questions that could only come from someone who is trying to elude himself that Israelis are angels and the others are terrorists who provoke them to do what they do. This is 60 years worth of war, what possibly could it generate other than depression, terrorism and hatred?

Do you have any other reason for peace? we want to stop the bloodshed and end this...but there you are making fun of what we are trying to accomplish.

I have nothing more to say.

How is this unrealistic? Would you accept to leave your people divided and scattered all over the globe when there's a peace treaty being signed? What is so hard about allowing people to get back home?

21. Jun 12, 2008 #20
    The cons are that the UN is acknowledging some sort of "holy land" and I really am not comfortable with that. It would be like if a US president came out saying "I believe God chose me to become president."

Oh wait.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?