Arab News and the Dixie Chicks

• News
  • Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by Zero
No, protesting Nike's ACTIONS is different from protesting against someone's OPINIONS.
So someone's opinions are completely separated from their actions? You don't think the Dixie Chicks might act on their beliefs? It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Dixie Chicks contribute money to the Democratic party. Thats an action. And thats an action that people directly aid when they buy their cd's or listen to them on the radio. No, I don't know for sure that they contribute, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Zero
Originally posted by russ_watters
So someone's opinions are completely separated from their actions? You don't think the Dixie Chicks might act on their beliefs? It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Dixie Chicks contribute money to the Democratic party. Thats an action. And thats an action that people directly aid when they buy their cd's or listen to them on the radio. No, I don't know for sure that they contribute, but its better to be safe than sorry.
Ok, so you feel that you should do what is in your power to avoid helping in any way, people who disagree with your political views.

Why?

russ_watters
Mentor
Ok, so you feel that you should do what is in your power to avoid helping in any way, people who disagree with your political views.

Why?
Maybe I should clarify - I would try to avoid helping other people voice opinions that I don't agree with or taking actions I don't agree with. The Dixie Chicks can have whatever opinion they want, but I will choose not to buy them a forum for voicing it. And I certainly am not going to help the Dixie Chicks fund the DNC or campaign for the DNC's next election which I fully expect them to do.

You make it sound like I'm trying to starve them. Thats absurd.

Zero
Originally posted by russ_watters
Maybe I should clarify - I would try to avoid helping other people voice opinions that I don't agree with or taking actions I don't agree with. The Dixie Chicks can have whatever opinion they want, but I will choose not to buy them a forum for voicing it. And I certainly am not going to help the Dixie Chicks fund the DNC or campaign for the DNC's next election which I fully expect them to do.

You make it sound like I'm trying to starve them. Thats absurd.
So, their politics mean more to you than music? Even if you REALLY liked their music, you would worry that a nickle of your money might support a Democrat?

For me it comes down to this.
The Dixie Chicks are free to say what they want. If I had purchased tickets to their concert and they started making political speaches I would be upset (even if I agreed with them), I paid money to hear them play music...that would be the reason I like them...and not to hear their views of the world.
But just as they are free to voice their opinion of things, I too am free to not purchase their music, even if I did like it. I am also free to disagree with their opinions. I am also free to discuss with others my disagreement with their opinions. And if enough people also disagreed with their opinions and did like me and quit buying their music then oh well they lost some money.
And I would have to say "yes" to Zero (even though directed to russ). If the Dixie Chicks were funding an organization that I strongly disagreed with, not something as benign as the Demo party but maybe something worse like Advocacy group for beating children, or something as terrible as that) then I would also probably stop purchasing their music. It would depend on how strongly I felt for or against it.
And like I said before it comes down to personal tolerance levels. Everyone is different and has different levels of tolerance.

Tog

N_Quire
In the longer run, the Dixie Chicks have not suffered economically at all. The reverse is true, and what with their nude front cover, they're making big money again.

I don't think what she did in London could be called a speech though. She merely stated that she was ashamed to be from the same state as George Bush. It might even have been made as an ironic little quip of the sort the British love. Boycotting the Chicks for that statement was ridiculous, even if we were at war.

The Dixie Chicks are more interested in making music, being famous and making money that in politics, so I think they'll keep their mouths shut from now on. They won't bite the many hands that feed them.

russ_watters
Mentor
So, their politics mean more to you than music? Even if you REALLY liked their music, you would worry that a nickle of your money might support a Democrat?
Since their music is pathetic, this is all a hypothetical, but yes. I might. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't do the same.

I, for example, have heavily reduced my music purchases due in part to the politics of the RIAA.