Can a Qubit's Mixed State Density Operator Be Expressed Using Pauli Matrices?

In summary, an arbitrary density operator for a mixed state qubit can be written as \rho = \frac{I+r^i\sigma_i}{2} where ||r||<1. This is obtained by considering the hermitian property of \rho and rewriting it as a linear combination of Pauli matrices and the identity. The trace condition and positivity condition then lead to the conclusion that |r| \leq 1/2. Redefining r yields the result. Mark confirms that this approach is correct.
mtak0114
1. Show that an arbitrary density operator for a mixed state qubit may be written as

2. [tex]\rho = \frac{I+r^i\sigma_i}{2}[/tex], where [tex]||r||<1[/tex]
(Nielsen and Chuang pg 105)

3. So my attempt was as follows
Given that a [tex]\rho[/tex] is hermitian it may be written as a linear combination of the pauli matrices and the identity.
[tex]\rho = aI+r^i\sigma_i[/tex] where r^i is arbitrary
the trace condition [tex]tr(\rho)=1[/tex] implies [tex]a=1/2[/tex] and
the positivity condition [tex]\langle\varphi|\rho|\varphi\rangle \geq 0[/tex]
implies that [tex]2cos\theta |r||\langle\varphi|\sigma^i|\varphi\rangle| \geq -1[/tex] which implies that
[tex]|r|\leq 1/2[/tex], fnally redefing r above gives the result QED
is this correct or am i assuming too much?

cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything fine!

What is an arbitrary density matrix?

An arbitrary density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of the system being in a particular state. It contains information about the system's state, such as its energy, spin, and other properties.

How is an arbitrary density matrix different from a pure state density matrix?

An arbitrary density matrix represents a mixed state, which is a combination of multiple pure states. In contrast, a pure state density matrix represents a single state with a probability of 1. An arbitrary density matrix allows for a more general description of quantum systems that may be in a mixed state.

What is the physical significance of the elements in an arbitrary density matrix?

The elements in an arbitrary density matrix represent the probability amplitudes for a particular state. The square of these amplitudes gives the probability of the system being in that state. The diagonal elements represent the probabilities of the system being in a pure state, while the off-diagonal elements represent the probabilities of the system transitioning between states.

How is an arbitrary density matrix related to the density operator?

An arbitrary density matrix is the matrix representation of the density operator. The density operator is a mathematical operator used to calculate expectation values of observables in quantum systems. It is related to the density matrix by the equation: ρ = |ψ⟩⟨ψ|, where |ψ⟩ is the state vector of the system.

What are the applications of arbitrary density matrices in quantum mechanics?

Arbitrary density matrices are used in various areas of quantum mechanics, including quantum information theory, quantum computing, and quantum statistical mechanics. They provide a more general description of quantum systems and allow for the calculation of important quantities such as entropy, entanglement, and coherence.