Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length and line integrals

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am trying to solve for the surface area of a odd surface for a fire relief PSV and needed to do a line integral but I was reading into my calculus book and going back to the definition of arc length I am confused:

L = lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum (P_{i-1}*P_{i})[/tex]

Multiplication should give you an area like when you multipy the function of a curve C by the length just like an integral. This is a fundamental definition so I can not go back any farther maybe im just missing something logically in my own mind. Understanding line integration is also fundamental to fluid dynamics and E&M which are both of great interest to me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First what are Pi and Pi-1? Without knowing that we can't make any sense out of that formula. Also, where did you get that formula? I don't recognize it.
    If you divide a curve into n pieces, then the arclength is the sum of the length of any one piece which, for large n, can be approximated by the straight line between the endpoints:
    sum [itex]\sqrt{((x_i- x_{i-1})^2+ (y_i- y_{i-1})^2+ (z_i- z_{i-1})^2}[/itex] and the actual arc length is the limit as n goes to infinity.

I have no idea what you mean by this. By "the function of a curve" I presume you mean something like the f(x) in y= f(x) or the vector function [itex]\vec{r}(t)= f(t)\vec{i}+ g(t)\vec{j}+ h(t)\vec{k}[/itex]. But the product of either of those by a number (the arclength) is not a number (the area). And what area are you talking about? In general, an arc does not have any "area" associated with it.

In general, if a curve in 3 dimensions is given by (x(t),y(t),z(t)), that is, as parametric functions of t, then the arclength, from t0 to t1 is given by
    [tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1}\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2} dt[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    This was out of James Stewart Calculus book and I realized this just represneted a line segment it was not multiplicitive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?