Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc Length Confusion

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Why is arc length of a function [tex]f(x)[/tex] from a to b defined as [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2} dx[/tex]?

Where they get the idea of squaring the derivative, adding 1, taking the square root, and then integrating it is beyond me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They got the idea from Pythagoras :smile:

√(1 + (dy/dx)2) dx = √((dx)2 + (dy)2) = ds :wink:

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

But aren't dx, dy, and ds all infinitesimals with no real meaning here?

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They're all infinitesimals, but they are the limit of very small increments ∆x ∆y and ∆s with ∆s2 = ∆x2 + ∆y2 :smile:

how would you define arc-length? :wink:

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you don't want to use differentials, which you say are "infinitesimals with no real meaning here" then you will have to use the standard "Riemann sum" definition. Given a curve y= f(x) with x from a to b, divide the x-axis from a to b into n intervals, each of length [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. We can approximate the curve from [itex](x_i, f(x_i))[/itex] to [itex](x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i+ \Delta x))= (x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i)+ \Delta y)[/itex] where I have taken [itex]\Delta y= f(x_i+ \Delta y)- f(x_i)[/itex], by the straight line between those points. It's length, by the Pythagorean theorem, is [itex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}[/itex]. Now, factor [itex]\Delta x[/itex] out of that:
    [tex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}= \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]

So the Riemann sum is
    [tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]
    which, in the limit, becomes
    [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2} dx[/tex]

I would be surprised if your text book didn't give all of that.

7. Jan 18, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

awww, you gave him the answer! :redface:

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, since this isn't a homework problem, I think giving the answer is all right...

I honestly have never seen the derivation before.

Thanks for the help, both of you.

9. Jan 24, 2010 #8
    Certainly in the limit [tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] does not become [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2} dx[/tex] according to the definition of the Rieman integral.

BUT ,by the mean value theorem we have that:

Δy = f'(ξ)Δx ,where ξ is [tex] x\leq\xi\leq x+\Delta x[/tex] and now ,

[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] becomes :[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(f'(\xi)\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] .This a Rieman sum which in the limit it becomes:

[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2} dx[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook