Arc Length for a metal project (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Hello everyone. I'm a metal worker trying to do the layout for a project using a few nice curves. To do that, I need to get arc length, but I'm having trouble finding it for f(x)=x^3. If anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction for integrating (1+(3x^2)^2)^1/2, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just have to cook up some easily integratable functions so I can get welding, but I'd prefer to work the other way around.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen.

benorin

Homework Helper
That integral involves an elliptic integral of the first kind, go to www.integrals.com and input (1+(3x^2)^2)^(1/2)

Thanks for the link, it's really handy. Since this is a metal project, and not a math one, I think I'll just avoid using that particular fuction, since I can get the lines I want without getting into such beastly integrations. Again, that link is great, and I'll be putting it in my toolbox. Thanks.

benorin

Homework Helper
Use also http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=calculus&s2=integrate&s3=advanced [Broken] has many free online math calculators: click on the links listed on the lefthand side of their home page.)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving