Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc Length for a metal project

1. May 6, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm a metal worker trying to do the layout for a project using a few nice curves. To do that, I need to get arc length, but I'm having trouble finding it for f(x)=x^3. If anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction for integrating (1+(3x^2)^2)^1/2, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just have to cook up some easily integratable functions so I can get welding, but I'd prefer to work the other way around.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

That integral involves an elliptic integral of the first kind, go to www.integrals.com and input (1+(3x^2)^2)^(1/2)
  4. May 7, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the link, it's really handy. Since this is a metal project, and not a math one, I think I'll just avoid using that particular fuction, since I can get the lines I want without getting into such beastly integrations. Again, that link is great, and I'll be putting it in my toolbox. Thanks.
  5. May 21, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?