Arc Length for a metal project

In summary, A metal worker is looking for help calculating the arc length for f(x)=x^3 in order to create curves for a project. They are having trouble finding the integral for (1+(3x^2)^2)^1/2 and are asking for assistance or alternative, easier-to-integrate functions. They receive a link to a website with helpful math calculators and decide to avoid using the original function to save time. They express gratitude for the assistance and plan to add the website to their toolbox.
basha
Hello everyone. I'm a metal worker trying to do the layout for a project using a few nice curves. To do that, I need to get arc length, but I'm having trouble finding it for f(x)=x^3. If anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction for integrating (1+(3x^2)^2)^1/2, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just have to cook up some easily integratable functions so I can get welding, but I'd prefer to work the other way around.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, it's really handy. Since this is a metal project, and not a math one, I think I'll just avoid using that particular fuction, since I can get the lines I want without getting into such beastly integrations. Again, that link is great, and I'll be putting it in my toolbox. Thanks.

Use also http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=calculus&s2=integrate&s3=advanced has many free online math calculators: click on the links listed on the lefthand side of their home page.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is arc length and why is it important for a metal project?

Arc length is the distance along the curved edge of a metal object. It is important for a metal project because it determines the amount of material needed and the level of precision required for cutting and shaping the metal.

How do you measure arc length?

Arc length can be measured using a variety of tools such as a tape measure, calipers, or a flexible ruler. The method used will depend on the shape and size of the metal object.

What factors affect arc length?

The main factors that affect arc length are the radius of the curve, the angle of the curve, and the thickness of the metal. The greater these factors are, the longer the arc length will be.

Can arc length be calculated?

Yes, arc length can be calculated using mathematical formulas such as the arc length formula for a circle: L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the angle of the curve in radians.

How can arc length be used in the design process of a metal project?

Arc length is an important consideration in the design process of a metal project as it helps determine the correct dimensions and angles for cutting and shaping the metal. It also ensures that the final product meets the desired specifications and functions properly.