1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length formula help

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    1 Find the area bounded by the curve [tex] x = t - \frac{1}{t} [/tex], [tex] y = t + \frac{1}{t} [/tex] and the line [tex] y = 2.5 [/tex].

I know that [tex] A = \int_{\alpha}^{\beta} g(t)f'(t) \; dt [/tex]

I ended up with [tex] \int_{1}^{2} 2.5-(t+\frac{1}{t})(1+\frac{1}{t^{2}}) [/tex]

2 Find the length of the curve: [tex] x = a(\cos \theta + \theta \sin \theta) [/tex], [tex] y = a(\sin \theta-\theta \cos \theta) [/tex], [tex] 0\leq \theta\leq \pi [/tex]

I obtained [tex] \frac{a\pi^{2}}{2} [/tex]. Does this look correct? I used the arc length formula for parametric equations.

Is this correct?

3 Find the surface area obtained by rotating the given curve about the x-axis: [tex] x = 3t-t^{3} [/tex] [tex] y = 3t^{2} [/tex], [tex] 0\leq t\leq 1 [/tex].

So [tex] S = \int_{a}^{b} 2\pi y \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt}^{2})+(\frac{dy}{dt}^{2})} \; dt [/tex]

So would I do the following: [tex] \int_{0}^{1} 2\pi(3t^{2})\sqrt{(3-3t^{2})+36t^{2}} \; dt [/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now quite. if x= f(t), y= g(t), then dx= f'(t)dt and ydx= g(t)f'(t)dt but you want (2.5- y)dx. You should have (2.5- t+ 1/t)(1+ 1/t2)dt. Also, recheck your limits of integration. When t= 1, y= 2, not 2.5.

Yes, it is. Don't you just love it when things cancel out?

No. You forgot a square: it should be
    [tex] \int_{0}^{1} 2\pi(3t^{2})\sqrt{(3-3t^{2})^2+36t^{2}} \; dt [/tex]
    (Once again, that square root simplifies nicely. Your teacher is being nice to you!)

4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    Instead if the question read as:

Find the surface area generated by rotating the given curve about the y-axis:

[tex] x = 3t^{2}, y = 2t^{3}, 0\leq t \leq 5 [/tex] would it be:

[tex] \int_{0}^{5} 2\pi(3t^{2})\sqrt{72t^{2}} \; dt [/tex]

5. Nov 27, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it wouldn't. You want [itex]\sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2}[/itex]. Here, dx/dt= 6t and dy/dt= 6t2. You need [itex]\sqrt{36t^2+ 36t^4}= 6t\sqrt{1+ t^2}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?