1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length integral

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ok, the original prob is : find the length of the curve of y=ln(1-x^2) x between 0, 1/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ive made it this far: my integral is -1 + 2/1-x^2..............ok so i decompose the second part but in doing so i get a negative to make it -(x+1)(x-1) but i don't know what happens to that negative because the solution manual says the integral is .......-1+ 1/x+1 -1/x-1 dx i don't get the signs. please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    if we are woking with single variable functions, y=f(x) like here then the arc length from a to be of a curve is:

[tex]L=\int_a^b\sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2}dx[/tex]

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    yes....like i said ive already worked that part....im toward the end of the problem i just don't get the signs

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    Well, since you have shown almost no work(step by step) it is hard to tell where you have missed, or what you are doing wrong.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    got it...nvm..thanks

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook