1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length problem calc II

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1

LBK

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the exact length of the curve: y= 1/4 x2-1/2 ln(x) where 1<=x<=2

2. Relevant equations
    Using the Length formula (Leibniz) given in my book, L=Int[a,b] sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)
    I found derivative of f to be (x2-1)/2x does that look correct?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found f' to be (x2-1)/2x does that look correct? I'm thinking I must be off on something because I get a wrong answer. Either that or my integration. I am trying to use tables in the book for that, and not sure about that either. I am trying to sub u for that (dy/dx) part when integrating, for which I think I can use the form:
    int sqrt(u2+a2)=1/2 (u*sqrt(u2+a2)+a2ln|u+ sqrt(u2+a2)
    When I put my value back in for u, it turns in to a big mess. When I plug in my x values I got 15/32 +ln 2. This isn't right, the book has 3/4 + 1/2 ln 2 if that helps. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Write [itex]y'[/itex] in the simpler form [itex]\frac12(x - \frac{1}{x})[/itex]. Take a closer look at [itex]1 + y'^2[/itex], and consider the identity [itex](a + b)^2 = (a - b)^2 + 4ab[/itex].

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Like many textbook problems on arc length, this one is cooked up so that the square root simplifies to something nice. As it turns out, 1 + y'2 is a perfect square, so the final integral doesn't involve a radical and is pretty simple. I get the same answer as the textbook.

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4

LBK

ah, I get it now. Thanks, you guys rock. I'll definitely be back lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted