Arc length trig vector problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle that a jetliner turns when flying 2.1km on a circular path with a radius of 3.4km. The formula for circumference is used, and the angle is found by dividing the circumference by 360 degrees and then multiplying by the distance traveled.
torresmido
I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
*hint* arc length in trig.

Why don't you try the forum specifically for homework, you will probably get more help there. :smile:

Draw a diagram.

torresmido said:
I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

thanks

The formula for calculating the circumference [tex]\pi d[/tex]. You have the radius which is half the diametre, so in this case the diametre is 6.8. Now plug those figures into the formula. It should look like this...

[tex]\pi 6.8 = 21.35[/tex]

Now that you have the total circumference, you want to find out what fraction of the circumference the plane travels. I would do this by trying to find what 1 degree is, so I would go

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}[/tex]

Now that you have what 1 degree is in relation to a length, you simply multiply

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}2.1[/tex]

This will give you the angle in which the plane has travelled. It should be around 36 degrees but I will let you finish it off.

If you are having any trouble just say :smile:

1. What is an arc length trig vector problem?

An arc length trig vector problem involves finding the length of an arc on a circle using trigonometric functions and vector operations. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve real-world problems.

2. How do you find the arc length in a trig vector problem?

To find the arc length, you need to first determine the central angle of the arc and the radius of the circle. Then, you can use the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians.

3. What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is the actual physical distance along the arc, while arc measure is the size of the central angle that intercepts the arc. They are related by the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians.

4. What are some real-world applications of arc length trig vector problems?

Arc length trig vector problems are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, they can be used to determine the distance traveled by a car on a curved road, the length of a curved object in 3D space, or the distance between two points on a globe.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving arc length trig vector problems?

One way to improve your skills is by practicing with different types of problems and using various techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and formulas can help you approach and solve problems more effectively.