Find Arc Length of x = 1/3√y(y-3) 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

In summary, the problem is to find the length of the curve x = 1/3√y(y-3) with the given bounds. By using the formula L = ∫ √(1 + (dx/dy)^2), the solution involves finding dx/dy, then plugging it into the integral and solving. After some algebraic manipulation and trigonometric substitution, the final solution matches the answer in the book.
vande060

Homework Statement

find the length of the curve

x = 1/3√y(y-3) 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

Homework Equations

L = ∫ √(1 + (dx/dy)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 1/3√y(y-3) 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

x = 1/3 (y^3/2 - 3y^1/2)

dx/dy = 1/2(y^1/2) - 1/2(y^-1/2)

dx/dy = 1/2(y^1/2 - y^-1/2)

(dx/dy)^2 = 1/4( y -2 + 1/y)

L = ∫ √[(1 + 1/4(y - 2 + 1/y)] 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

L = ∫ √[(1 + 1/4(y^2 - 2y + 1)/y] 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

L = ∫ √[(1 + 1/4(y-1)^2/y] 1 ≤ y ≤ 9

Im tempted to go ahead with the trig substitution, but this is getting a little complex, so I am wondering if I am even on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4}\left(y-2+\frac{1}{y}\right)}=\frac{1}{2}\,\sqrt{4+y-2+\frac{1}{y}\ }=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}\,\sqrt{y^2+2y+1\,}[/tex]

I got the rest of the work done, and it matches the answer in the book, thank you

1. What is the formula for finding arc length?

The formula for finding arc length is L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the equation representing the curve.

2. How do I know if an equation represents a curve?

An equation represents a curve if it cannot be written in the form of a straight line (y = mx + b) and contains at least one variable raised to a power other than 1.

3. How do I find the derivative of an equation?

To find the derivative of an equation, use the power rule (if the variable is raised to a power), product rule (if the equation contains two or more terms being multiplied), quotient rule (if the equation contains a fraction), or chain rule (if the equation contains a function within a function).

4. What is the significance of the limits 1 ≤ y ≤ 9 in this equation?

The limits indicate the range of values for the variable y that should be used when calculating the arc length. In this case, the curve is only being evaluated between the points where y = 1 and y = 9.

5. Can this formula be used for any curve?

Yes, this formula for finding arc length can be used for any curve as long as the equation can be represented in terms of x and y. However, the limits may vary depending on the specific curve being evaluated.