Yes, your solution is correct!

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a curve segment in terms of positive constants, $a$ and $l$, as well as its limit for $a \to 0$. Using the formula for length, $\displaystyle L = \int_a^b \sqrt{1+\bigg(\frac{dy}{dx}\bigg)^2}$, the length is calculated to be $2\sinh(al)$. However, there is an error in the final calculation of the limit, which should be $2l$.
Guest2
Consider the segment of the curve $y = \cosh(ax)/a$ between $x = −l$ and $l$. Here $a$ and $l$ are positive constants. Find an explicit expression for the length of this curve segment in terms of $a$ and $l$, as well as its limit for $a \to 0$.

What I had done:

Using the formula $\displaystyle L = \int_a^b \sqrt{1+\bigg(\frac{dy}{dx}\bigg)^2}$

I get $\displaystyle L = \int_{-l}^l \sqrt{1+\left(\sinh{ax}\right)^2}\,{dx} = \int_{-l}^{l} \cosh(ax)\,{dx}=\sinh(al)-\sin(-al) = 2\sinh(al). $

$\displaystyle \lim_{a \to 0} 2\sinh(al) =2\sinh(0) = 0$

Could someone please confirm whether this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you differentiate $\sinh(ax)$?

greg1313 said:
What do you get when you differentiate $\sinh(ax)$?
I get $a\cosh(ax)$.

Right. So,

\(\displaystyle \int\cosh(ax)\,dx=\dfrac{\sinh(ax)}{a}+C\)

greg1313 said:
Right. So,

\(\displaystyle \int\cosh(ax)\,dx=\dfrac{\sinh(ax)}{a}+C\)
Oh wow. I can't believe I got that wrong! (Giggle)

So I should have got $ \frac{2\sinh(al)}{a}$ and $2\lim_{a \to 0}\frac{\sinh(al)}{a} = 2l\lim_{a \to 0}{\cosh{a}} = 2l$

Is this correct?

Though your final answer is correct, there is an error. See if you can spot it.

greg1313 said:
Though your final answer is correct, there is an error. See if you can spot it.

$\displaystyle 2\lim_{a \to 0}\frac{\sinh(al)}{a} = 2\lim_{a \to 0}\frac{\frac{d}{da}\sinh(al)}{\frac{d}{da} a} =2l\lim_{a \to 0}{\cosh{a}} = 2l$?

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc. It is measured in the same units as the radius of the circle.

How do you calculate arc length?

The formula for calculating arc length is:
Arc Length = (Angle/360) x 2πr
where r is the radius of the circle and Angle is the measure of the central angle in degrees.

What is the difference between arc length and chord length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc, while chord length is the straight line distance between the two endpoints of an arc. Chord length is always shorter than arc length.

Can arc length be greater than the circumference of a circle?

No, arc length can never be greater than the circumference of a circle. The maximum arc length is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is the distance around the circle.

How is arc length used in real life?

Arc length is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the length of curved structures, such as arches and bridges, and to determine the distance traveled by objects moving along a circular path.