How do I solve for arc length?

In summary, arc length is the measurement of distance along a curved line, typically in units such as inches or degrees. It is calculated using the formula s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle. Arc measure is the size of the central angle in degrees or radians, while arc length is the actual distance along the arc. Arc length cannot be negative as distance cannot be negative. In geometry, arc length is important for measuring curves and calculating properties such as area and circumference.
silverbabe
How do I solve this ?

Attachments

• int3.bmp
    4.6 KB · Views: 537
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Weierstrass substitution.

i.e. a trig substitution.

I didn't know that was called Weierstrass substitution. I've always known it as "t-formula".

okay... I´m lost!

Silverbabe, search for "Weierstrass substitution" or "trigonometric substitution" in your calculus book, library, the Internet, or Wikipedia, and you'll find out what it means

1. What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc. It is measured in units such as inches, centimeters, or degrees.

2. How is arc length calculated?

The formula for calculating arc length is: s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius of the arc, and θ is the central angle in radians.

3. What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is a measurement of the actual distance along the arc, while arc measure is the size of the central angle in degrees or radians.

4. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative as it is a measurement of distance and distance cannot be negative.

5. What is the significance of arc length in geometry?

Arc length is important in geometry as it is used to measure the length of curves, such as circles, and to calculate various properties of these curves, such as area and circumference.