Calculating Width of Metal Sheet for Corrugated Roofing Panels

In summary, the conversation discusses a manufacturer's goal to produce metal roofing panels with specific dimensions. They provide an equation for a sine wave and ask for clarification on how to verify it. They also ask for the width of a flat metal sheet needed to make a 28-inch panel. The solution to this problem involves finding the arc length of the sine wave from x=0 to x=28. The equation provided indicates that there will be 2 periods of the sine wave in the 28-inch panel.
hisotaso

Homework Statement

"A manufacturer of corrugated metal wants to produce metal roofing panels that are 28 in. wide and 2 in. thick by processing flat metal sheets."

the illustration shows that by "2 in. thick" they are referring to the distance between the crest and valley of the sine wave.
"Verify that the equation of the sine wave is y=sin[(pi*x)/7]"

This is the part that has me confused.
"Find the width w of a flat metal sheet needed to make a 28-inch panel."

Here they are just asking "Find the arc length of the sine wave from x=0 to x=28" yes?

Homework Equations

y=sin[(pi*x)/7]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't started the problem yet, my question is how would I verify the equation of the sine wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
You lack one fact in the qiuestion, and its either the amount of periods you want on the whole panel or the width between two periods.

As evident of that equation you get 1 period per 14 inches or 2 periods total over the whole panel.

I figured it out, I hadn't noticed that the picture provided shows that the processed metal sheet completes 2 periods over the distance of 28 inches.

What is the formula for calculating the width of a metal sheet for corrugated roofing panels?

The formula for calculating the width of a metal sheet for corrugated roofing panels is W = (A + 2B) + (2C x N), where W is the width of the sheet, A is the total width of the roof, B is the overlap allowance, C is the width of each panel, and N is the number of panels needed to cover the roof.

How do I determine the total width of my roof?

To determine the total width of your roof, you will need to measure the length of each side of the roof and add them together. It is important to take into account any overhang or eaves that may affect the total width.

What is the overlap allowance for corrugated roofing panels?

The overlap allowance for corrugated roofing panels is typically 2-3 inches. This allows for proper water drainage and ensures the panels are securely attached to the roof.

What is the standard width of a corrugated roofing panel?

The standard width of a corrugated roofing panel is usually 26 inches. However, it can vary depending on the manufacturer, so it is important to check the specifications for the specific panels you are using.

How do I calculate the number of panels needed for my roof?

To calculate the number of panels needed for your roof, divide the total width of your roof by the width of each panel. This will give you the number of panels needed for one row. Then, divide the total length of your roof by the length of the panel to determine the number of rows needed. Multiply the number of rows by the number of panels per row to get the total number of panels needed.