Finding Arc Length of x & y from 0 to 4

In summary: At 4, you would get \frac{1}{27}~(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}\vert_0^4and at 0, you would get \frac{1}{27}~(9t^{2}+2)^{-3/2}\vert_0^0
Stratosphere

Homework Statement

Find the length of
[tex]\ x =t^{3}[/tex]
[tex]\ y =t^{2}[/tex]
0 [tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex] 4

Homework Equations

I would write the formula for the arc length but I don't know how to make a definite integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the whole thing set up and I'm ready to integrate but I seem to have forgotten how to integrate [tex]\int\ \sqrt{9t^{4}+2t^{2}}dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
From the integral you set up, first factor t^2, then it will become t by square root. After that, use trigonometric substitution. 3t=sqrt(2)tan(theta), 3dt=sqrt(2)sec^2(theta), then substitute them to the integral

Unfortunately I don't follow you, after I factor out the t^2 I get
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}(9t^{2}+2)} [/tex] after that I don't know what your trying to say.

Bring the t2 factor out of the radical so that the integrand becomes
[tex]t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}[/tex].

Also, it is much simpler to evaluate this integral using an ordinary substitution instead of the more complicated trig substitution that darkmagic suggested.

Also, here is the definite integral. Click on it to see the LaTeX code that I used.
[tex]\int_{0}^{4} t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

I hate to ask again but I think I rushed through U-substitution to fast. I don't see anything that's the derivative of the otherthing so I'm not sure what to pick for U.

Stratosphere said:
I hate to ask again but I think I rushed through U-substitution to fast. I don't see anything that's the derivative of the otherthing so I'm not sure what to pick for U.

Recall the chain rule: If f is a function of g and g is a function of t, and we define h(t) = f(g(t)), then h'(t) = f'(g(t))g'(t).
What is the derivative of the inside of that radicand in your integral? Can you modify the outside of the integral so that the integrand resembles a chain rule?

Stratosphere said:
Then you should review this technique. For your problem, let u = 9t2 + 2. Then du = ______ dt ?

I got the answer to be

[tex]\frac{(9t^{3}+2)^{3/2}}{18}[/tex]

is this right?

Stratosphere said:
I got the answer to be

[tex]\frac{(9t^{3}+2)^{3/2}}{18}[/tex]

is this right?
It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just differentiate what you have and if it's correct, you should get the integrand you started with.

I will say, though, that it appears you have made an error in your integration. Also, when you do get the correct antiderivative, you will still need to evaluate it at 4 and at 0 -- you're working with a definite integral, so you should get a number for your arc length.

Show us how you did the substitution and the work after that, and we'll help you out.

ok. I do not see that. Just a u-substitution.

Here are my steps

[tex]\ \int_{0}^{4} t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18}\int 18t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ u=9t^2 + 2[/tex]
[tex]\ du=18t[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \int (u)^{1/2} du [/tex]
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \frac{(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}}{3/2} [/tex]

I can't see where I went wrong.

Last edited:
Stratosphere said:
Here are my steps

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18}\int 18t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ u=9t^2 + 2[/tex]
[tex]\ du=18t[/tex]
The last line should be du = 18t dt. If you get in the habit of omitting this differential, it can come back around and bite you in more complicated integrals.
Stratosphere said:
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \int (u)^{1/2} du [/tex]
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \frac{(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}}{3/2} [/tex]
Now all you need to do to finish this is to evaluate your antiderivative at the two endpoints, 0 and 4.

I can't see where I went wrong.
That's slightly different from what you had in post #9. If you look closely, you should see the difference.

To continue where you left off, and doing a little simplification

(using your substitution and then undoing the substitution)
[tex]\ = \ \frac{1}{27} ~(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}\vert_0^4[/tex]
Now, just evaluate this antiderivative at 4 and at 0 and subtract.

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of x and y from 0 to 4?

The formula for finding the arc length of x and y from 0 to 4 is given by:
S = ∫04 √(1 + [f'(x)]2) dx, where f'(x) is the derivative of the function f(x).

2. How do I determine the function f(x) for finding the arc length?

The function f(x) can be determined by taking the derivative of the given equation for x and y and then plugging it into the formula for arc length. Alternatively, if the function is already in the form of y = f(x), then the derivative is simply the slope of the tangent line at any given point.

3. Can I use the formula for finding arc length for any type of function?

Yes, the formula for finding arc length can be used for any type of function as long as the function is continuous and differentiable on the given interval of integration.

4. What is the significance of finding the arc length of a curve?

Finding the arc length of a curve helps in determining the total length of a curve, which can be useful in various real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object or the length of a wire needed to create a specific shape.

5. Can I use numerical methods to approximate the arc length of a curve?

Yes, numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, can be used to approximate the arc length of a curve. These methods divide the interval of integration into smaller sub-intervals and use the sum of the lengths of these sub-intervals to approximate the total arc length.