Calculating y for 0 to 1: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Mugen Prospec
  • Start date
In summary, the arc length of the given function y = 5 + 8x^(3/2) from 0 to 1 is approximately 0.5786. The process to find this value involves taking the derivative of the function, squaring it, and then using the integral of the square root of 1 plus the squared derivative. However, there may be a typo in the given answer and it is recommended to double check the result.
Mugen Prospec

Homework Statement

y = 5 + 8x^3/2 from 0 to 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried it a few times Keep getting variations of 1+ 12[tex]\sqrt{12}[/tex]. I would like some to give me a step by step how to work it. Something is killing me on this I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've tried and we can go from there.

Arc length is the Integral of sqrt(1+(f '(x))^2) so Derivative of the equation is 12x^1/2. Then I believe you are supposed to square that. Thats the same as (sqrt(12x))^2 right? so I tired it like that I also did 12x^1/2 * 12x^1/2= 144x so then I know you finish of the integral. I used U substitution to do that.

Roughly: [tex]\int{\sqrt{1+144x}}\:dx = \frac{1}{216}(1 + 144x)^{3/2}[/tex]

miqbal said:
Roughly: [tex]\int{\sqrt{1+144x}}\:dx = \frac{1}{216}(1 + 144x)^{3/2}[/tex]
You're going to have to back up, since your integrand is wrong. Show us what you did to get the part under the radical.j

Edit: Never mind. I misread the exponent as 3, rather than 3/2.

Last edited:
I'm not the original poster dude.

[tex]s = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt { 1 + [f'(x)]^2 }\, dx.[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = 5 + 8x^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 12x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex][f'(x)]^{2} = 144x[/tex]

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{1} \sqrt { 1 + 144x }\, dx = {\frac{1}{216}(1 + 144x)^{3/2}}\left|^{1}_{0}[/tex]

ok i have got to the that point is that answer right? then you just substitute the 1 in and that's the answer? I just want to know that I did it right my online homework is picky about the answer format.
Thanks to all

Mugen, you should be able to check your work (or the posted work) for errors.

Yes, substituting 1 and 0 in is the correct procedure for evaluating this definite integral. Be more confident!

miqbal said:
I'm not the original poster dude.

[tex]s = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt { 1 + [f'(x)]^2 }\, dx.[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = 5 + 8x^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 12x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex][f'(x)]^{2} = 144x[/tex]

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{1} \sqrt { 1 + 144x }\, dx = {\frac{1}{216}(1 + 144x)^{3/2}}\left|^{1}_{0}[/tex]

Looks fine. I misread the exponent in the original problem as x^3 rather than x^(3/2).

OK I just put it in and it said it was wrong so I don't care anymore. I think its right as do all of you so I am going with the homework having a typo in the answer.
Thanks again

Your answer should be [tex]\frac{1}{216}(145^{3/2} - 1) [/tex]
which can also be written as
[tex]\frac{1}{216}(145\sqrt{145} - 1)[/tex]

1. How do I calculate y for 0 to 1?

To calculate y for 0 to 1, you will need to use the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. You will also need to have a value for x, which represents the input value. Plug in the values for m, b, and x into the equation and solve for y. This will give you the corresponding y value for the input x.

2. What is the significance of calculating y for 0 to 1?

Calculating y for 0 to 1 is commonly used in linear equations to find the value of the dependent variable (y) for a given independent variable (x). This can help in understanding the relationship between the two variables and making predictions based on the data.

3. Can I use this guide for non-linear equations?

No, this guide specifically focuses on calculating y for linear equations. For non-linear equations, the process will be different and may require other mathematical techniques.

4. What if I don't have a value for the slope or y-intercept?

If you don't have a value for the slope or y-intercept, you can use other methods such as graphing or finding the equation of a line to determine these values. Once you have the values, you can then follow the steps in this guide to calculate y for 0 to 1.

5. Is this guide applicable for all ranges of x?

Yes, this guide can be used for any range of x as long as the equation is linear. However, if the values for x are very large or very small, it may be more accurate to use scientific notation or a computer program to perform the calculations.