Find Arc Length of Curve over [0, 2π]

In summary, Quietrain tried to solve the homework statement by applying the formula integral ||r'(t)|| over the interval 0,2pi, but he got an error. He simplified the expression to ∫30sintcost from 0 to 2π, and got an error. He then tried to integrate from pi to 0 or 2pi to 0, but both gave him 60. Quietrain realized that he needed to change his limits when he took the square-root, and then tried this: he integrated from 0 to π, and then doubled it. He got -30(1/2)cos2t from 0 to pi, and -15(1-1) = 0. Finally, Quietrain
quietrain

Homework Statement

find arc length of curve over the interval t(0,2pi)

r(t) = 10cos3t i + 10sin3t j

The Attempt at a Solution

i apply the formula integral ||r'(t)|| over the interval 0,2pi

i get integrate sqrt((-30cos2tsint)2 + (30sin2tcost)2)
and then finally get 15sin2t |0 to 2pi

and i get 0

but the ans for the length is 60... :(

i believe it has got to do with me traversing the curve r(t) more than once when t goes from 0 to 2pi. but how do i know or show that that is the case? and how do i rectify this problem?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi quietrain! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)
quietrain said:
… i apply the formula integral ||r'(t)|| over the interval 0,2pi

i get integrate sqrt((-30cos2tsint)2 + (30sin2tcost)2)
and then finally get 15sin2t |0 to 2pi

and i get 0

but the ans for the length is 60... :(

how did you get sin2t ? :confused:
i believe it has got to do with me traversing the curve r(t) more than once when t goes from 0 to 2pi. but how do i know or show that that is the case? and how do i rectify this problem?

when you take the square-root, you must be careful to make sure it's always positive

you may need to do the integral from 0 to π, and then double it :wink:

oh i simplify the expression to
∫30sintcost from 0 to 2π (is this wrong?)

so it becomes
15sin2t
or
-15cos2t

but integrating from pi to 0 or 2pi to 0 for either gives me 0 :(

hi quietrain! :smile:
quietrain said:
oh i simplify the expression to
∫30sintcost from 0 to 2π (is this wrong?)

no, that integrand correct …

but you could simplify it to 15sin2t :wink:
so it becomes
15sin2t
or
-15cos2t

but integrating from pi to 0 or 2pi to 0 for either gives me 0 :(

you didn't do what i said :redface:

you need ∫30|sintcost| dt (or ∫|sin2t| dt ) :wink:

so it will be 15∫|sin2t| dt from 0 to pi which is all positive and i double it so its to 2pi

so -30(1/2)cos2t from 0 to pi

so -15 ( 1 - 1 ) = 0 :(

or must i change my limits since it is now cos? so to get +ve cos i need to integrate from 0 to pi/2 and x4 to get 2pi?

so 15∫|sin2t| dt = -30cos2t (after x4) from 0 to pi/2
so = -30 ( -1 -1) = 60 ! that's the answer ...

but it seems trial and error style :( ?

weird.. so if i want ∫|sin2t| dt , the integral of modulus of sin2t , i am actually wanting the integrated form , cos, to be positive? so i have to change my integrating limits too?

[tex]\sin(2t)\geq 0 \text{ for }0\leq t\leq \frac{\pi}{2}\ .[/tex]

[tex]\sin(2t)\leq 0 \text{ for }\frac{\pi}{2}\leq t\leq\pi \ .[/tex]

quietrain said:
so it will be 15∫|sin2t| dt from 0 to pi which is all positive and i double it so its to 2pi

(what happened to that π i gave you?)

nooo :redface:

as SammyS :smile: indicates, you should consider going to π/2 and quadrupling that, instead of π and doubling :wink:

haha... i see thanks everyone!

(oh the pi looks like n :( i thought it was confusing)

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a curve over a given interval?

The formula for finding the arc length of a curve over a given interval is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve and the integral is taken over the given interval.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration when finding the arc length?

The limits of integration for finding the arc length depend on the given interval. For example, if the interval is [0, 2π], then the limits of integration would be 0 and 2π.

3. Can the arc length of a curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a curve cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the distance along the curve.

4. What is the significance of finding the arc length of a curve?

Finding the arc length of a curve is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path or the length of a curved shape, which can be useful in real-world applications.

5. Are there any shortcuts or alternative methods for finding the arc length of a curve?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or alternative methods for finding the arc length of a curve. One method is to use the arc length formula for a specific type of curve, such as a circle or parabola. Another method is to use numerical integration techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the arc length. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution.