How do I calculate arc length using the arc length equation?

In summary: Hope this makes sense?In summary, the arc length equation is useful for finding the length of an arc on a circle. You can find the radius and the theta angle by using the co-ordinates (x, y) given.
eXmag

Homework Statement

f4mkut.jpg

Homework Equations

The arc length equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "the arc length equation", do you mean [itex]L = r \theta[/itex] (with [itex]\theta[/itex] in radians)? If so, yes, that is useful. r is given, how do you find [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Also in your image you have drawn a vertical line stating r = 200. That line is not a radius of the circle, did you mean to put the label next to the line OB?

O (zero) is for origin and 200 is the radius, i just put the line there to indicate where the center of the circle is. The circle is not centered with the origin that is why, just shifted to the right.

I would add two lines to the drawing...

1) From B to the center of the circle
2) From point B down to the x-axis.

Some triangles will be obvious.

I'd also mark the angle A-(center of circle)-B and call it θ

Then start with L = rθ and make substitutions. eg find a way to express θ in the required co-ordinates.

eXmag said:
O (zero) is for origin and 200 is the radius, i just put the line there to indicate where the center of the circle is. The circle is not centered with the origin that is why, just shifted to the right.

I missed that, my bad.
Maybe it is slightly easier if you shift the center of the circle to the origin, which will make the coordinate of B (x - c, y) instead of (x, y), where (c, 0) is the center of the circle. Then, as I said, you will need to find [itex]\theta[/itex].

Thanks so much for your help guys, i found the answer :) Regarding the L=r theta, I actually found an easier way to calculate the arc length. If u divide the theta angle in degrees by 360 and put it equal to the L divided by the circumference it gives you the exact same answer. Like this, degree/360 = L/circumference and solve for L.

What is the formula for calculating arc length?

The formula for calculating arc length is s = rθ, where s is the length of the arc, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

How do you convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, use the formula θ = (π/180) * θo, where θ is the angle in radians and θo is the angle in degrees. For example, to convert 45 degrees to radians, you would use θ = (π/180) * 45 = 0.785 radians.

What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is the physical distance along the curved line of an arc, while arc measure is the size of the central angle that creates the arc. Arc length is measured in units such as inches or centimeters, while arc measure is measured in units of degrees or radians.

Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. The length of an arc is always a positive value, as it represents the physical distance along the curved line.

How do you find the arc length of a sector?

To find the arc length of a sector, use the formula s = (θ/2π) * 2πr = θr, where s is the arc length, θ is the central angle, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from the fact that the arc length is a fraction of the circumference of the circle, which is equal to 2πr.