1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc of Charge

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electric charge of density ρℓ = 5 μC/m is distributed along the arc r = 2 cm,
    0 ≤ ∅ ≤ ∏/4, z = 0. Find the electric field intensity at (0, 0, z)

2. Relevant equations
    dE=(dQ(r)/(4∏ε(r^2))) (unit vector R)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Letting pL be the charge density, letting r^2 = mag(r)^3

pLdL = dQ
    dL = rd∅
    pLrd∅ = dQ, r=0.02

Note: Limits of integration are 0 -> ∏/4

E(r) = 5E-6*0.02/(4∏ε)∫(z*(unitvector z) - 0.02cos∅* (unit vector x) - 0.02sin∅*(unit vector y))/((z^2+0.0004)^(3/2))) d∅

=900∫(z*(unitvector z) - 0.02cos∅* (unit vector x) - 0.02sin∅*(unit vector y))/((z^2+0.0004)^(3/2))) d∅

I found it kind of hard to use notation while typing, so feel free to ask me to clarify. I know what I just typed is extremely tangly, so thanks in advance for taking the time to look at it.

My question is, did I go about this problem the right way? I don't feel confident about the evaluation I did to get all variables in terms of ∅. Also, I brought the unit vector into the calculation so that the final answer's vector will depend on whats being plugged in. I figure since z must be a constant point charge, the integral can be easily evaluated once a z value is given.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The result looks correct.

You're right. It is rather hard to follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook