1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc trig functions

1. Sep 9, 2004 #1
    srry to be a bother but can someone help me on how to do this, it explains it in the book but i dont understand.
    Here it is:

arcsin(sin 3(pi))

i would really appreciate ur help, and thxs before hand. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do it one step at a time. To what is sin 3(pi) equal?

4. Sep 9, 2004 #3
    0 right. Is that the awnser, huh?
    I was told it was pi/2.

5. Sep 9, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You were told? By whom?

6. Sep 9, 2004 #5
    a friend he said it was pi/2, i guess he was wrong because i see now way of getting that, well for these problems like the one above i just get trig function inside the para and thats the awnser. Can i make that generalization?

oh, and thxs for the help :biggrin:

7. Sep 9, 2004 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. What's the domain for the arcsin function? A function only has one possible y (range) for any given value of x (domain).

0 is not the final answer (the quoted post suggests you know that). Instead you have to find a value within the domain of the arcsin function that has a sine of 0.

The variation is if, instead of asking the arcsine, the question asks for all possible values for [tex]\theta[/tex] that have some given value for sine.

8. Sep 9, 2004 #7
    ooh, ok, thank very much, take care. :rofl: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?