Is ∫-1/√(1-x^2) equal to acos(x) and -1*asin(x)?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
In summary, Arccos and Arcsin are mathematical functions that find the inverse of cosine and sine, respectively. They are calculated using a scientific calculator or basic trigonometric identities. Their domain is [-1, 1] and their ranges are [0, π] and [-π/2, π/2] for Arccos and Arcsin, respectively. These functions have real-life applications in various fields and can have negative values, although their ranges are typically restricted to positive values.
Nikitin
Since acos(x) = ∫-1/√(1-x^2), and asin(x) = ∫1/√(1-x^2), won't ∫-1/√(1-x^2) = acos(x) = -1*asin(x)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arcsin x + arccos x = pi/2

so I think what you have is wrong, check again.

I doublechecked, but I still can't find my error..

Nikitin, is there any chance that you are forgetting the constant of integration?

oops, yeh, true :p

sorry, I had a brainfart due to 3 weeks of exams

1. What are Arccos and Arcsin?

Arccos and Arcsin are mathematical functions used to find the inverse of the cosine and sine functions, respectively. In other words, they tell us what angle produces a specific cosine or sine value.

2. How do you calculate Arccos and Arcsin?

To calculate Arccos and Arcsin, you can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table. You can also solve them using the Pythagorean theorem and basic trigonometric identities.

3. What is the domain and range of Arccos and Arcsin?

The domain of Arccos and Arcsin is [-1, 1], as these are the possible output values of cosine and sine. The range of Arccos is [0, π] and the range of Arcsin is [-π/2, π/2].

4. How are Arccos and Arcsin used in real life?

Arccos and Arcsin have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two points.

5. Can Arccos and Arcsin be negative?

Yes, Arccos and Arcsin can have negative values, depending on the input. For example, Arccos (-0.5) = 2π/3 and Arcsin (-0.5) = -π/6. However, the range of these functions is usually restricted to positive values in most mathematical contexts.