Archemedes Principle: Water Level Impact Analysis

• Thread starter physicsfan01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, there is a fisherman and his niece in a boat on a small pond, both wearing life jackets. The niece is holding a large floating helium filled balloon. The fisherman fills a glass with water from the pond and drinks it, causing the water level to stay the same. When the fisherman knocks the tackle box overboard, it sinks to the bottom, causing the water level to fall. When the niece pops the balloon, the water level stays the same. When the niece gets in the water and loses her grip on the string, letting the balloon escape upwards, the water level rises. When the fisherman lowers himself in the water and floats on his back, the water level stays the same. When the fisherman
physicsfan01

Homework Statement

A fisherman and his young niece are in a boat on a small pond. Both are wearing life jackets. The niece is holding a large floating helium filled balloon by a string. Consider each action below independently, and indicate whether the level of the water in the pond R-Rises, F-Falls, S-Stays the Same, C-Can't tell.

A) The fisherman fills a glass with water from the pond and drinks it.
B) The fisherman knocks the tackle box overboard and it sinks to the bottom.
C) The niece pops the balloon.
D) The niece gets in the water, looses her grip on the string, letting the balloon escape upwards.
E) The fisherman lowers himself in the water and floats on his back
F) The fisherman lowers the anchor and it hangs vertically, one foot above the bottom of the pond.

Homework Equations

Use Archemedes principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I got SRRRSR (in order from A through F).

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsfan01 said:
I got SRRRSR (in order from A through F).

Can you explain how you got these? They may not be all correct.

For example, ans to B should be F, i.e., level falls.

I know they're not all correct, that's why I would like to see if anyone has a different answer.

I don't think you can say for D. Does the girl float or sink?
It looks like there are a couple of other problems also.

Last edited:
Shooting Star said:
Can you explain how you got these? They may not be all correct.

physicsfan01 said:
I know they're not all correct, that's why I would like to see if anyone has a different answer.

That's why I wanted you to explain your answers, so that we can discuss the errors, if any. We'll also know how much you have understood buoyancy and related stuff. Why don't you discuss briefly how you arrived at those conclusions?

p.s. The human body sinks in fresh water, but just barely. It also depends on the fat content of that particular individual. Since we are considering a small pond, it's safe to say that in this case the niece is standing up in the water when she gets in the water. Anyway, we'll consider one particular case (sink or float) and base our understanding on that.

Last edited:

1. What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is a physical law that states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does Archimedes Principle apply to water level impact analysis?

In water level impact analysis, Archimedes Principle is used to calculate the amount of water that is displaced by an object and the corresponding buoyant force acting on the object. This information is then used to determine the impact of the object on the water level.

3. What factors affect the water level impact according to Archimedes Principle?

The water level impact is affected by the volume of the object, the density of the fluid, and the gravitational force acting on the object. These factors determine how much water will be displaced and the strength of the buoyant force.

4. Can Archimedes Principle be applied to any fluid, or just water?

Archimedes Principle can be applied to any fluid, as long as the fluid has a constant density. It is commonly used for water level impact analysis, but it can also be applied to other liquids and gases.

5. How is Archimedes Principle used in real-life applications?

Archimedes Principle is used in various real-life applications, such as shipbuilding, determining the weight of objects, and designing submarines and hot air balloons. It is also used in industries that involve fluid dynamics, such as oil and gas, and water management.