Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archeology Discussion Forum?

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    Just wondering if anyone is aware of a serious archeological discussion forum. I’ve done various Google searches and while I’ve come across several forums, none of them appear to have the activity or professionalism I’d like to see. Thanks.

Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a friend that is a professional archaeologist, but he specializes in clovis culture. That would be one issue, if you are looking for a forum that is all encompassing, it would likely be aimed at non-professionals. Andre would probably know some good discussion sites.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the response.

I retired to Chiclayo, Peru some time ago and find myself surrounded by archeological sites, most of them small, obscure and in various states of decay with no protection of any sort. They date back to the pre-Inca Chimu and Moche cultures. Most of them are located at the base of small mountains in this coastal desert. They have long ago been excavated by looters who left behind only thousands of pottery shards. Peru is a poor country without the resources to investigate, properly excavate and protect these smaller sites so usually they are known only to the locals, who seem puzzled when I express an interest in visiting them.

I guess what I’m looking for is advice on how to locate other sites and once found what specifically to be looking for. I’ve also got dozens of questions regarding what I have already found.

5. Aug 10, 2010 #4
    Just a suggestion when you do your searches you may want to spell Archeology like this Archaeology:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook