1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archery Problem

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    the turkish bow of the 15th and 16th centuries greatly outperformed western bows. the draw force F(x) of the turkish bow versus the bowstring displacement x (for x negative) is approximately represented by a quadrant of the ellipse (F(x)/Fmax)^2+((x+d)/d)^2=1 . Calculate the work done by the bow in accelerating the arrow, taking Fmax=360N , d=.7m and arrow mass m= 34g. assuming that all of the work ends up as arrow kinetic energy, determine the maximum range R of the arrow. (the actual range is about 430m) Compare with the range for a bow that acts like a simple spring force with the same Fmax and d.

First I started by getting the draw force F(x) in terms of x.
    then I did the integral of that function with respect to x from -.7 to 0 to get the work. And then i set the work equal to kinetic energy and solved for v0. I got v0 = 69.88m/s. giving R=v0^2/g=497.81m

The answer in the back of the book is
    and the turkish bow is larger by a factor of pi/2

I would like to know what i'm doing wrong, and how they derived that
    R=v0^2/g=(pi*Fmax*d)/(2*m*g). Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2

Multiply both sides by Fmax^2

sqrt of both sides, F(x)=Fmax*sqrt((1-[(x+d)/d]^2))

looks like you got your expression for F(x) wrong, but it's like 3:15 at night here and I might be wrong, but yours seems too simple
  4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    haha, awsome, that worked. I guess i should have triple checked it before posting. Well anyway how do they get R=(pi*Fmax*d)/(2*m*g)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?